My journey exploring sound at Leeds Beckett

Alumni spotlight | Abhyuday Bhat

Photo of Abhyuday Bhat

Abhyuday Bhat is an international alumni of Leeds Beckett, who studied BA (Hons) Music Production. Originally from India, here he shares his story of studying at Leeds Beckett and what its like to be an international student at the Leeds School of Arts.

Introduce yourself – tell us who you are and what you do.

I’m Abhyuday, an electronic musician, sound designer, sound artist and more. My work is primarily informed by my interest in granularity and the limits of perception, delving into frozen soundscapes and hypnotic rhythms to create immersive sonic experiences.

Talk us through your career since graduating.

Graduating during the pandemic was a rough start, but after a period of interning and freelancing, I am now the sound designer for Brewed Games, an indie game studio.

"The journey of exploring sound is endless, and Leeds Beckett provides an excellent platform to embark on that journey".

What did you study and what did you enjoy about your course at Leeds Beckett?

I studied BA (Hons) Music Production and graduated in 2020. I enjoyed the creative freedom and flexibility that the course offered.

In particular, I appreciated the opportunity to choose my area of interest in the later stages of the course and work on it with the excellent guidance of the professors.

How did the course equip you for your career?

The course has provided me with a solid technical foundation and critical thinking skills. It equipped me with the tools necessary to navigate the ever-evolving landscape of the music industry, with a significant part of the coursework reflecting real-life scenarios.

What opportunities did you have as part of your course?

As part of my course, I had the opportunity to attend guest lectures and workshops from industry professionals.

"The course offers creative freedom and flexibility to explore your area of interest."

What does the future hold for you?

For the immediate future, my primary focus is on designing sound for upcoming video game Winds of Arcana: Ruination. The game is set to release later this year.

Apart from that, I am also working on an interactive audiovisual installation and creating my own music.

In the long term, I plan to do a Masters, which is definitely on my bucket list.

What would you say to someone considering studying your course at Leeds Beckett?

I’d suggest embracing experimentation and taking advantage of every opportunity to learn.

The journey of exploring sound is endless, and this course provides an excellent platform to embark on that journey.

You can find out more about Abhyuday's music and sound projects here.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself.