I chose this course as I have a passion for safeguarding children

Latoyah Louise Wong profile

I am a mature student and a parent student. My passion is safeguarding children and my career goal is to become a social worker. Alongside studying for my degree for the past two consecutive years I have also had the roles of the BAME student trustee of the university’s student union and course rep. Also, for the previous year, I was the School’s representative for a year.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Working with Children, Young People and Families

As I have a passion for safeguarding children, becoming a social worker is something that has been a desire of mine for many years. In college, after I left school, I studied health and social care. I took a few years out to care for my children. Once I got back into education in 2017, I knew this was the career path I wanted to get into. I think my decision was solidified due to me having children of my own.

What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

I chose Leeds Beckett due to logistics – as I am a parent of three children, I needed somewhere that was located near to me. I did apply for two other universities, which I got places for, however, when I had my interview at Leeds Beckett I was interviewed by Head of Social Work Lorraine Agu and senior lecturer Mark Williams, and as I am a Black woman it filled me up with so much pride to see two people who are the same race as me; this gave me the vision that one day I could be an expert in that particular field, just like them. I originally applied for social work, however, I did not have my maths at the time, so I went through clearing and got accepted on to this course. I have my maths now, so I plan to do my Masters in social work.

What opportunities have you been involved in through your course?

The course has allowed a lot of opportunities – the main one is that we have to secure a volunteering placement in one of our modules. As we get to choose our own place to volunteer this can really help a student with networking and creating working relationships with professionals. I volunteered at Leeds Youth Justice Service and, although this module has ended, I am still volunteering through the summer and would like to stay there as long as I can.

I would also say it gives you amazing skills that prepare you for working. 

Due to the skills that I have gained from the course and volunteering I am now 100% confident when it comes to applying for vacancies – either paid or voluntary. I have recently secured a position as a parent governor at my daughter’s school.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

My favourite thing about my time studying would have to be the doors that it has opened for me and being able to network with other professionals. The staff are also friendly and I have met some amazing people.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

I would say to anyone thinking about this course to go for it, as it gives you so much insight into the world and social issues such as race, inequality and injustice to name a few. This course is an eye-opener about today’s society and the way the world was before us and the changes that have been made and there are so many career paths you could take with this degree.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!