My dissertation was published in a professional body journal

Alumni spotlight | Andrew Kidd, MA Psychotherapy

Andrew Kidd, MA Psychotherapy

I’m a BACP Accredited and EMDR Association UK therapist based in Glasgow, Scotland. Before finding Leeds Beckett, I developed a love of psychological research working in a university research clinic. From observing and working with some excellent therapists, I learned that one of the most effective ways to develop practice further was to engage in research. Psychotherapy research is often filled with experience, knowledge, meaning and words of wisdom. After all the world isn’t made out of ‘matter’ but is made out of what matters.

• Course: MA Psychotherapy

Tell us about what drew you to Psychotherapy at Leeds Beckett

This course felt like the next step in my professional development.

I was drawn to Leeds Beckett as they were one of the few UK institutions providing a flexible program that allowed me to build on top of my prior experiences / qualifications instead of beginning all over again. I’ve found some courses can feel ‘padded’ or unnecessarily bloated. What appealed to me about this course is that it was specific, focused and research oriented, which I was looking for.

Tell us about your dissertation and why are you passionate about this topic

My dissertation was titled ‘Therapists Facing Masks: A Qualitative Study of the Nature of Relationships Between Masks and Relational Depth’. The project was related to characteristics that impact abilities to relate to each other during therapy sessions. More broadly, the topic explored how therapy works: is therapeutic change dependent on a specific mechanism or common factors?

Since COVID-19, increased mental health symptoms (including anxiety and depression) are seen in society. At the same time, masks became part of society and directly or indirectly connected to therapeutic relationships.

Although masks are worn as protection against COVID-19, mask-wearing impacts extend to so much more; to societal, psychological, physiological and logistical.

The overall aim was to explore relationships between masks and relational depth. Viewing masks as a characteristic sought to understand further the socio-cultural impacts of masks on client / patient care and decision-making to meet at depth. This topic had immediate social and international context due to COVID-19.

The project emphasised the significance of mask-wearing policy in communicating masking as a social behaviour as well as a medical one. Also, that psychological interventions would benefit from being part of the public health response to addressing the psychosocial impacts of COVID-19.

How does it feel to have your dissertation published in the professional body journal?

In a word: surreal.

Seeing my work in print is quite emotional. I had personal motivations for completing the course (and studying psychotherapy in general) that stemmed back years. To see my ideas, passion and command of words transformed into portraying a piece that was ‘worthy’ of being accepted by a professional body journal… just surreal.

I don’t imagine for a second that this was achieved on my own (the headaches from writing it were undoubtedly my own). From Leeds Beckett: Dr John Hills & Dr Vivien Sabel were fantastic sources of inspiration and support. My lived experiences have inspired my outlook, but most importantly, I appreciate clients trusting me to support them, that matters more to me than a publication. The clients motivate me to continue trying my best to improve as a clinician.

What's next for you?

Continuing to develop as a therapist and a person by aiming at the good. That’s a treadmill, where you learn daily and apply the lessons to your life.

At the moment, I’m working in Glasgow with First Psychology. I’ll look to continue to develop as a clinician with them, while looking to grow into more mentorship / managerial roles.

I also love producing content, so I will continue to write, both for my blog and for presentations – shameless plug, I will be presenting a webinar on supporting someone with OCD in May!

I’m grateful for everything that’s happened career-wise so far but remain focussed on my original aim – I want to help people, and support those who struggle with their mental health.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!