Why I chose to study Biomedical Science at Leeds Beckett

We caught up with first year BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science student, Tom Keeton to find out about his experience at Leeds Beckett University.

Dark haired male in denim jacket

Why did you choose to study Biomedical Science at Leeds Beckett?

I have always had a love for science and knew at secondary school that I wanted to study a science related degree at University.

When it came to choosing a university and course, Leeds Beckett stood out to me at the open day. Everyone was so friendly, and the lecturers and students were really knowledgeable and answered all my questions about the course and studying at Leeds Beckett.

Leeds Beckett stood out from the other universities I was considering as my degree is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and covers a broad range of topics. This was a major benefit as I know that this will give me a better chance of employability after graduation.

What are the facilities like and how do they help your learning?

The facilities are great. Our labs are always spotless, fully stocked and neatly organised. The broad range of equipment we use is really high end meaning our practicals are always accurate and go to plan!

Our lecture halls are spacious and have great visibility and acoustics which means that no matter where you sit you can always pay full attention to the lecturers.

There are also lots of study spaces, which are great for independent learning. The library has a huge number of scientific journals and textbooks to allow me to read about my subject, as well as cite from. The atmosphere is relaxed, and you can always find a quiet space when needed.

What support have you been given?

There is lots of support available. We have an active Students’ Union and Student Services Team, which makes getting a broad range of support for a variety of needs super easy.

Everyone is allocated a designated academic supervisor who can help and direct you with any questions. The lecturers are very approachable and willing to share their knowledge. They’re also really easy to contact and respond quickly. You never feel alone at Leeds Beckett.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

It’s hard to pick just one! Leeds is an amazing city with a great night life, huge variety of culture and the people are so welcoming. The university itself is a fantastic place to be with lots of great spaces and people. The step to university, with the independence and social life it brings, is really fun but without a doubt my favourite bit has to be my course. It’s so interesting and the way the course is structured you feel like you’re always learning with no dull bits. It’s curated perfectly with all the modules interlinking with each other, it creates such a sense of understanding in a complex subject.

Do you have any advice for someone thinking about studying Biomedical Science?

Make sure you’re organised coming into the course and have a study schedule early on. Do your assignments as soon as you can after getting them and don’t be afraid to use all the support at your disposal, the lecturers will always be happy to help you and they’re a great source of information. But most of all, be ready to put the work in and you will soon realise how rewarding Biomedical Science is  as a degree and what a fabulous experience Leeds Beckett is.

To find out more about study Biomedical Science at Leeds Beckett visit our website.