Studying to becomes a Speech and Language Therapist as a mature student

Student spotlight | Helen Wood, MSc Speech and Language Therapy

Person Bio

I spent 13 years teaching infants, but I decided on a career change when my kids came along. I had studied linguistics previously and had always been interested in speech therapy. The Masters course at Leeds seemed the perfect way to achieve qualification.

Q1 - Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to MSc Speech and Language Therapy

When I had looked for a course previously, I could only find undergraduate degrees. When Leeds Beckett announced that they were launching a Speech and Language Therapy Masters course, it was perfect, so I applied and got on to the course following an interview. I then deferred my entry until my youngest child started school and I started in September.

Q2 - What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

Living locally and having commitments such as a mortgage, a husband and three kids, I needed something in Leeds. The staff at Leeds Beckett were super friendly and helpful at the Open Day and I was really impressed so knew it was the best course for me.

Q3 - What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

One of the best things about the course is definitely the staff, they genuinely have the students’ best interests at heart. As a mature student, the social university scene isn’t really a priority for me any more, but when any issues have come up, the staff have been really supportive.

Q4 - What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

My advice would be to go for it! It’s intense as a two-year course that contains three years’ worth of content, but it’s a great place to learn and a lovely team of lecturers.