Student Blog Squad

How to create a Zen Space

Hiya, my name is Leah and I am a second year Event Management student at Leeds Beckett. I understand how it can be difficult to find time to relax and focus and so I have created this blog to give you some advice on how to create a zen space, wherever you might be staying during the isolation period.
book, keyboard and coffee on a desk

I hope you are all taking care during these crazy and uncertain times My house of six close friends has dropped to three and a usually buzzing and busy Hyde Park area is now eerily silent. However, I am fortunate to still have a couple of house mates around so we can keep each other company. My bedroom is small but you don’t need a large room to create a zen space, your zen space can even be outside!

Why is Creating a Zen Space Important?

Creating a zen space (especially during the isolation period) will give you a chance to relax, breathe and focus on your mental and physical health. For the past four years I have suffered with anxiety. There have been many things in my life that I have tried to change to help this and creating a zen space has been one of the most effective. My zen space has changed over the years; from my bedroom to the kitchen, from the kitchen to outside and there has even been times where the only time I could have silent time to myself is outside at night. No matter where it is, it is so important that you give yourself this time and space, to fully focus on yourself. There are small changes that you can make every day that could take you one step closer to achieving your perfect zen space.

My Zen Space

I have managed to create my own zen space in my bedroom. However when the sun decides to make an appearance I prefer to be outside to relax and stay centred. As I am sometimes limited to my bedroom, I find it important to keep the space tidy and organised; this helps me relax without any distractions.

Personally, I find that natural light plays an important role in creating my perfect zen space during the day; natural light is known to make people healthier and happier. Sometimes I prefer to escape to my zen space during the evening, meaning there’s no natural light. However, I have found that candles and fairly lights can have an equally as calming effect if not more than natural light. As well as using light to set the atmosphere, I also like to light incense as the smell of different scents and aromas helps me unwind and reduces my anxiety.

An image of a candle burning

Greenery

During my visit to the local shop to get my essential items I noticed that they were selling bunches of daffodils for £1. I got myself a few and it has definitely made my zen space feel brighter and the air cleaner. Since having plants in my zen space, I have noticed that when I do breathing exercises or even exercise in my zen space I find it easier to breathe, which can be brilliant if you suffer from anxiety like I do. This is because plants purify the air, absorbing the toxins and trapping some of them. They also look very pretty!

An image of three pots with small, indoors plants sitting on a windowsill

Activities

Recently, I have been using the Headspace app which is absolutely amazing. It gives advice on mediation, meditation techniques, sleeping, stress and anxiety, movement and healthy living. Students get it free with a student subscription to Spotify, or you can try it for free via their app or website. Each day I find 30 minutes to complete relax and meditate as I’m lucky enough to live in a relatively quiet house. If you find that your isolation space is loud then perhaps it would be useful to put in some earphones and listen to some calming music. Reading is also a personal favourite of mine when I’m in my zen space. There’s nothing better than getting stuck into a good book with no distractions.

Helpful Tips

• If you cannot find time during the day to create your zen space, why not involve your sleeping routine? Put down all electrical items at least half an hour before bed, light some incense or candles and put on some calming music.
  • If you enjoy cooking as much as I do, create your zen space in the kitchen! Try to incorporate spices that are good for you and boost your immune system such as turmeric and ginger. If you are a student living away from home and missing your mums best casserole, why not make something that reminds you of home!
  • Get rid of any clutter wherever your space is, you don’t want any distractions whilst you are trying to relax.

It’s important to remember that every person is different and you might have to try a couple of things to find what is right for you and your zen space.