The students were carefully selected from the Masters, Postgraduate Diploma and Diploma of Higher Education courses in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy, courses accredited by the BACP. The partially subsidised trip included a busy itinerary organised by our hosts, visiting various care settings during the day and attending counselling lectures in the evening. The students also had some free time to explore the stunning multicultural sights, sounds and tastes of Singapore.

LBU students and staff visiting Agape

Satff and students pose for the camera

“Waiting to check in when we were sweaty and exhausted from an early start, and a 16 hour journey… although it was a privilege to be there it was intense and personally challenging”.

Lectures included both theory and practice. “We were struck by how interactive and experiential their learning was. Our first lecture began with an icebreaker to welcome the British students and we really felt that we got to know the Singaporean students quickly; they were so warm and had a great sense of humour. Later as we undertook counselling exercises with them, we found them to be very supportive and open. It was a privilege to be included and we learnt a huge amount.”

An evening stroll

An evening stroll

An important part of training to be a counsellor is personal development, including vital self-awareness. What better way to find out how you relate to and impact others, than by spending an intense week with 11 strangers, jet-lagged and far from home? “There were worries and uncertainty, but we slowly developed from being reserved into becoming a tight-knit and supportive group. I couldn’t have predicted how much we would share our experiences, it’s beyond anything I have experienced before. I am so grateful for the friendships I made”.

A temple

A local temple

“Practical application of the theory in lectures has given me extra insight. I’ve gone from feeling like a student of counselling to feeling like a counsellor in the making”.

Singapore city is truly inspirational; people from different ethnic and religious backgrounds live peacefully side by side. The cityscape has been planned to incorporate greenery, even in amongst the stunning skyscrapers. On the organised visits our students got to see how well different care agencies co-ordinate with each other to arrange care packages for the disadvantaged in their society.

Evening drinks

Social drinks in the evening

“I never used to accept help, let alone ask for it. But this experience has changed me. I feel much more confident.”

“I’ve learned a lot about how the UK could do better, but also some ways in which we are really strong, for example stigma around mental health issues has decreased here, and our society is becoming more aware of neurodiversity.” All BACP members (and students on accredited courses) are aware of the importance of catering for diverse clients and ensuring quality of service for all in talking therapies.

When asked to describe the trip in just one word, answers included: inspirational, profound, life-changing, intense, affirming and unique.

“I think all twelve of us are so grateful to Leeds Beckett School of Health for this incredible opportunity which has shaped us as people and practitioners. This experience will stay with me forever. I’m so happy that I applied.”

LBU and local Singapore students pose for the camera

TheLBU and local students from Singapore