The students thoroughly enjoyed their time and their enthusiasm grew as they shared stories about their experiences and the places they had visited.

Second year BA (Hons) Architecture student Vlad-George Todica gave his thoughts on the trip:

Vlad-George's thoughts on Venice

In November 2023, we were given the opportunity by the Leeds School of Architecture to go in a group of 48 students for four days to Venice, in Italy and see the International Exhibition “La Venezia di Biennale” which this year was about architecture. I found this trip helpful for my studies as I was able to see how different countries perceive architecture but also it was incredible to see diverse ways of exhibiting work via many mediums (digital, drawings, models, paintings, films, music and many more). After seeing the Biennale, I realised how broad architecture can be and has helped me become more ambitious in my projects and experiment more.

Apart from seeing the exhibition, we had time to explore Venice and get a taste of the architecture that is surrounded by, as well as the culture and of course the food, which was brilliant. I personally was amazed by the way Venice was created and how it stands up after so many years but also how it has been kept in the same style. This is a reflection on the human knowledge and technology that was needed for this to happen and is a piece of history which will be there for many years to come.

01
Architecture students and staff in Venice
02
Vlad-George Todica
Architecture students in Venice
01
Vlad-George Todica in Venice
02
/

Taking architecture students to the Venice Biennale is a transformative experience, exposing them to a global spectrum of innovative designs against the enchanting backdrop of Venice's architectural heritage. Beyond technical knowledge, the trip cultivates cultural sensitivity and historical awareness, fostering creativity in students. For many, this field trip marks a pivotal moment in their education, shaping their approach to architecture, emphasising the profound impact of great spaces on human experience.