From single rooms in university halls to shared houses with their friends, there are many accommodation options for your son or daughter to choose from. Whichever their choice, we do everything we can to make sure they are well supported and stay excited in their first steps towards independence.  

Living in student halls

University accommodation is the most popular option amongst first-year students. It is the safest and easiest choice – halls are usually close to the campus and well-connected in terms of transport. Your son or daughter will find themselves amongst peers, many of whom will likely be experiencing life away from home for the first time and that is something they could figure out together. Termly rent payments make budgeting easier and your child will not need to worry about any extra bills as rents are usually all-inclusive. Trained security staff are also available at many halls of residence 24 hours a day, to ensure the welfare and safety of your son or daughter.

Living in private property

Sharing a house with their friends from their first year is usually the go-to option for second year students. Even though your son or daughter may opt to stay in halls again, chances are they will move into a private house for some greater independence.

House hunting, of course, can be a bit daunting and there are things they should be mindful of, such as ensuring they let a safe house from a reputable agent. We recommend that our students visit the Unipol website to get the best advice. Unipol is a national housing charity with a voluntary accreditation scheme (the Unipol Code) where properties are inspected to make sure they’re of a high quality and standard.

If your son or daughter has enjoyed their time in halls, they can stay on for another year. All they need to do is contact the Accommodation Team in good time to get all the necessary details and find out the application deadline. We recommend that they get in touch around January.

For more information, please visit our Accommodation website.


Living at home

If you live locally, living at home may be the obvious choice for your son or daughter. They will stay close to friends and family, save money and could even keep their part-time jobs, if they have one. 

Staying at home doesn’t mean that they will miss out on getting the ‘full’ university experience either – many of our students commute in from surrounding towns and cities and still have access to an array of societies, events and other friendship networks, which your son or daughter could just as easily benefit from. Our Students Union, for example, hold a number of events throughout the year that help students who share similar interests connect with each other. 

Your son or daughter could also keep busy by getting involved in a sports club, taking a fitness class or just keeping fit in our gym, all of which are great ways to socialise with other students and stay active. From quiet spots in our libraries to Student Meeting Rooms and social learning spaces, we ensure they will have the perfect place to catch up with their reading or work on their group assignments and be able to relax and enjoy their time at home.

We also hold a series of introductory events at the start of each year to help commuter students adjust to student life and offer them tips on how to make the most of their time on-campus. You can find out more about the ways in which we support commuting students by visiting our dedicated website.


Some useful tips to keep in mind

Rent payments

Making sure they know when their rent is due to come out is the best way for your son or daughter to budget for their accommodation costs. You can take some time to go through our schedule of payments with them to get a better understanding of how rent payments work.  

At Leeds Beckett, we also offer a professional and impartial advice service to students dealing with student funding issues or complex debt problems. Appointments can be made by calling the Student Hub on 0113 812 3000.

Flat maintenance

Whether they rent privately or live in our student halls, your son or daughter will need to pay a safety deposit in advance. Staying on top of flat maintenance is important in making sure they keep their deposits safe. The first step is to complete their arrival inspection form and, if there are any issues in their room, note them down and hand the form back into reception within 48 hours. This ensures that issues are dealt with as quickly as possible and that no money is deducted from the bond as a result of damages that occurred previously.

Maintenance issues can be reported by filling out a maintenance request form at the site reception and are dealt with by our on-site Maintenance Team.

Homesickness and settling in

Feeling homesick is a very natural part of moving away for university. For some students, it can seem quite overwhelming at first. Each of our Halls has at least one residential officer, who is there to offer support to your son or daughter, should they have a difficult time adjusting to university life. residential officers give advice, mediate, deal with emergencies and even offer time for a friendly chat. You can find more info about their role and how your son or daughter can contact them here.

If your son or daughter is not getting on with a flatmate, for example, they should contact their residential officer in the first instance. They will try to resolve any underlying issues or refer them to the Accommodation Team about the possibility of moving rooms, if needed.

Our university also offers a range of wellbeing services, which are free and confidential. They are aimed at providing students with information, practical and therapeutic support to help them manage any difficulties they are experiencing.

Staying in touch

Sending a letter or a parcel to your son or daughter is a great way to let them know you’re thinking about them. Just label the mail clearly with their name, building and flat number and your parcel will be delivered promptly. A full list of all our accommodation addresses can be found in the link below.

It's common for students who move into university accommodation to get completely caught up in their new, busy lifestyle and forget to call home. Rest assured we do our best to ensure your son or daughter is just making new friends and having a great time. If you are worried though, you could email the Residential Officer at their hall and ask them to check that they are okay. Most halls have on-site staff 24/7, who can check if your son or daughter is in their room and advise them to contact you. See below for a list of all those telephone numbers you may find useful.


  • Arena Village: Reception 0113 887 0140 (opening hours: 09:00 to 17:00)
  • Broadcasting Tower: Reception 0113 246 9401 (opening hours: 09:00 to 17:00)
  • Carlton Hill: Unipol Office - 0113 243 0169 (opening hours: 09:00 to 17:00), Unipol out of hours number - 0113 244 379
  • Carnegie Village: Reception - 0113 278 1392, Office - 0113 278 1401, 24 hour security mobile - 07525 90668
  • Concept Place: Reception - 0113 234 1330 (opening hours: 09:00 to 17:00)
  • Kirkstall Brewery: Reception - 0113 389 4170, 24 hour security mobile - 07968 183301
  • Marsden House: Reception - 020 3595 3283, 24 hour security mobile - 07704 751038
  • Mill Street: Unipol Office - 0113 243 0169 (opening hours: 09:00 to 17:00), Unipol out of hours number - 0113 244 3799
  • Sugarwell Court: Reception - 0113 262 5835, 24 hour security mobile – 078705 58949
  • The Plaza: Reception – 0113 244 5297 (opening hours: 09:00 to 17:00)
  • Woodhouse Flats: Sugarwell Court Reception - 0113 262 5835, 24 hour security mobile - 07980 294826

  • Arena Village: Jacob Street, Leeds, LS2 8BR
  • Broadcasting Tower: Woodhouse Ln, Leeds, LS2 9PD
  • Carlton Hill: Carlton Hill, Leeds, LS7 1JA
  • Carnegie Village: Headingley Campus, Leeds, LS6 3GZ
  • Concept Place: Park Lane, Leeds, LS3 1DN
  • Kirkstall Brewery: Broad Lane, Leeds, LS5 3RX
  • Marsden House: 1-3 Burley Road, Leeds, LS3 1LN
  • Mill Street: 1 Mill Street, Leeds, LS9 8NA
  • Sugarwell Court: Meanwood Road, Leeds, LS7 2DJ
  • The Plaza: Clay Pit Lane, Leeds, LS2 8AR
  • Woodhouse Flats: Blocks A-D, St. Marks Street, Leeds, LS2 9EQ

Two male students walking towards student apartment block

An online look at our halls