- SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS RESEARCH INSTITUTE
- Research areas
The strategic communication research group focuses on the communicative efforts by an organisations to advance its mission. It is necessarily multidisciplinary and draws on literature from public relations, marketing, advertising, and management. This group’s research is connected by three themes:
- Roles of communication from organisations and the media in responsible organisational strategy, behaviour, and performance
- Global strategic communication theory and practice
- Issues management and crisis communication
Selected peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and books based on our themes.
- Bridge, G., Flint, S., & Tench. R. (2020) An Exploration of the Portrayal of the UK Soft Drinks Industry Levy in UK National Newspapers. Public Health Nutrition (in press)
- Diers-Lawson, A. (2020). Norsk Tipping’s loneliest stakeholder: Crisis, issues and the whistleblower’s voice. In L. Browning, J. Sornes., P. J. Svenkerud (Eds.) The Whistleblower is a Double Agent: Communication and Consequences. Routledge, London
- Diers-Lawson, A., Coope, K., & Tench, R. (2020) Why can CSR seem like putting lipstick on a pig? Comparing practitioner and consumer perspectives to understand why CSR often fails to meet its objectives. Journal of Global Social Responsibility. doi:10.1108/JGR-02-2020-0033
- Topić, M. (2020). The Sourcing of Stories on Sugar and the Supermarket Industry in the British Press. The Qualitative Report, 25(5), 1196-1214.
- Zerfass, A., Hagelstein, J., & Tench, R. (2020). Artificial intelligence in communication management: a cross-national study on adoption and knowledge, impact, challenges and risks. Journal of Communication Management
- Ebanks, L., Beresford, S., & Topić, M. (2019). ‘Thanks, but it is more about interacting with fans for us’: Twitter Communication between BBC’s Sherlock and NBC’s Hannibal Fans and Producers. The Journal of Social Media in Society 8(1), 146-177
- Mal, C. I., Davies, G., & Diers‐Lawson, A. (2018). Through the looking glass: The factors that influence consumer trust and distrust in brands. Psychology & Marketing, 35(12), 936-947
- Topić, M., & Tench, R. (2018) Evolving Responsibility or Revolving Bias? The Role of the Media in the anti-sugar debate in the UK Press. Social Sciences 7(10):29 Sep 2018. ISSN 2076-0760 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci7100181
- Rohwer, L., & Topić, M. (2018). The Communication of Corporate-NGO Partnerships: Analysis of Sainsbury’s Collaboration with Comic Relief. Journal of Brand Management.
- Tench, R., & Topić, M. (2017). Evaluating CSR, Sustainability and Sourcing within the UK Supermarket Industry: The Case of Waitrose/John Lewis Partnership. In: Eweje, G., & Bathurst, R. eds. CSR, Sustainability and Leadership. London: Routledge
- Tench, R.; Devins, D.; Willis; Mitchell, C.; Brusati, L.; Frandsen, F.; Fadele, P.; Lacuzzi, S.; Ianniello, M.; Johansen, W.; Knudesen, G., & Dimitrova, T. (2016). Complexity Engagement: Stakeholders, Collaboration and Challenging Problems. Haftad
- Topić, M., & Tench, R. (2016). The Corporate Social Responsibility in Lidl’s Communication Campaigns in Croatia and the UK. The Qualitative Report 21(2), 351- 376
- Topić, M., João Cunha, M., Reigstad, A., Jelen Sanchez, A., & Moreno, Á (2020). Women in Public Relations (1982-2019). Journal of Communication Management. Early Cite:
- Verhoeven, P., Zerfass, A., Verčič, D., Moreno, A., & Tench, R. (2020) Strategic Communication across Borders: Country and Age Effects in the Practice of Communication Professionals in Europe, International Journal of Strategic Communication, 14:1, 6072, DOI: 10.1080/1553118X.2019.1691006
- Wiesenberg, M., & Tench, R. (2019). Deep strategic mediatization: Organizational leaders’ knowledge and usage of social bots in an era of disinformation. International Journal of Information Management, 102042.
- Yeomans, L. (2019). Public Relations as Emotional Labour. Routledge New Directions in Public Relations and Communication Research Series
- Diers-Lawson, A.R., & Croucher, S. (2018). Sports, Culture, and Financial Crisis: A cross-cultural comparison of the social media responses of struggling sports associations in the United States and the United Kingdom. In: Austin, L.L., & Jin, Y. eds. Social Media and Crisis Communication. Routledge
- Topić, M. (2018). Not Bloke-ified enough? Women Journalists, Supermarket Industry and the Debate on Sugar in the British Press (2010-2015). Newspaper Research Journal 39(4), 433-442.
- Verhoeven, P., Zerfass, A., Verčič, D., Tench, R., & Moreno, A. (2018). Public relations and the rise of hypermodern values: Exploring the profession in Europe. Public Relations Review, 44, Elsevier
- Verčič, D., Tench, R., & Tkalac-Verčič, A. (2018). Collaboration and conflict between agencies and clients, Public Relations Review, 44(1), 156-164. March 2018. Elsevier
- •Tench, R., Moreno, A., & Okay, A. (2017). Re-fuelling the Talent Tank. A Qualitative Study of Key Deficiencies, Future Needs, and life-long Learning Needs of Communication Management Professionals in Europe. Communication & Society, 30 (3), 109-127
- Tench, R., Moreno, A., & Topić, M. (2017). Male and Female Communication, Leadership Styles and the Position of Women in Public Relations. Interactions: Studies in Communication and Culture 8(2-3), 231-248
- Tench, R., & Topić, M. (2017). One Step Forward, Two Steps Back? An Analysis of Public Relations Practitioners’ Views on the Position of Women in the PR Industry (2009-2015). Current Politics and Economics of Europe 28(1), 83-105
- Tench, R.; Vercic, D.; Zerfass, A.; Moreno, A., & Verhoeven, P. (2017). Communication Excellence: How to Develop, Manage and Lead Exceptional Communications. Palgrave Macmillan
- Tench, R.; Zerfass, A.; Verhoeven, P.; Vercic, A.; Moreno, A., & Okay, A. (2016). Communication Management Competencies for European Practitioners. Emerald
- Diers-Lawson, A., & Pang, A. (2020). Strategic crisis management: State of the field, challenges and opportunities. In C. Valentini (Ed.), Handbook of Public Relations. Routledge, London
- Diers Lawson, A. (2020). Crisis Communication Managing Stakeholder Relationships. London: Routledge
- Galloway, C., Ashwell, D., Croucher, S. M., Diers-Lawson, A. (2019). Testing times: Communicating scientific test regimes in a food safety crisis. Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal (20) 42-58
- Diers-Lawson, A.R. (2018). Will They Like Us When They’re Angry? Antecedents and Indicators of Strong Emotional Reactions to Crises Among Stakeholders. In: Croucher, S.M., Lewandowska-Tomaszczyk, B., & Wilson, P. eds. Approaches to conflict: Mediatized and group dynamics. Rowman & Littlefield, pp. 81-136
- Diers-Lawson, A. (2017). Crisis communication. In H. Giles and J. Harwood (Eds.). The Oxford Encyclopedia of Intergroup Communication. DOI: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190228613.013.397
- Diers-Lawson, A.R. (2016). A State of Emergency in Crisis Communication: An Intercultural Crisis Communication Research Agenda. Journal of Intercultural Communication Research 46(1), 1-54
- Diers‐Lawson, A., & Pang, A. (2016). Did BP atone for its transgressions? Expanding theory on ‘ethical apology’ in crisis communication. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, 24(3), 148-161
Can excellence be achieved if we are always improving?