Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Darren Hill
About Dr Darren Hill
Dr Darren Hill is a Principal Lecturer in Social Work and Substance Use at Leeds Beckett University. Prior to working in higher education, Darren worked within substance use, mental health, family support and housing services.
Darren's contemporary academic deployment is situated within the School of Health & Community Studies and his primary teaching resides with the BA and MA pre-registration social work awards. Darren also contributes to post registration Social Work, Nursing, Mental Health and Youth Work awards through the inclusion of substance use related teaching.
- BA Social Work
- MA Social Work
- BA Youth and Community Work
- MSc Mental Health Practice
- PG Cert Mental Health Practice (AMHP)
Darren is a qualitative researcher who uses an ethnographic case study method; he favours direct observation, focus groups and interviews as data collection methods.
Darren’s research interests include the exploration of the history of social work; with specific reference to its role and philosophy for practice within society. He is also interested in comparative social work practice across Europe and is engaged with exploring alternative social work communities of practice such as 'street work' with socially marginalised service user groups.
Within the field of social work and social care Darren’s research expertise is primarily focused within the areas mental health and substance use. Darren’s research aims to develop a wider sociological understanding of substance use and mental health to improve practitioner knowledge, skills and best practice when working with service users groups within the community.
- Agu L; Mercer D; Hill DJ (2018) Exploring and Locating Social Work: A Foundation for Practice. . Basingstoke- England: Palgrave - Macmillan.
View Repository Record
- Hill D; Penson B; Charura D (2015) Working with Dual Diagnosis A Psychosocial Perspective. . Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hill DJ; Frost N (2018) Social work in England: regulation, competition and change.. In: Hill DJ; Frost N TRABAJO SOCIAL EN EL SIGLO XXI: Desafíos para la formación académica y profesional. Social Work in the XXI st century: Challenges to educational and professional training. Dykinson: Madrid.. Madrid: Dykinson, pp. .
View Repository Record
- Hill DJ (2015) Heroin. In: Hill DJ The SAGE Encyclopedia of Pharmacology and Society. : SAGE Publications, Incorporated, pp. .
- Hill DJ (2015) Heroin Assisted Treatment. In: Hill DJ The SAGE Encyclopedia of Pharmacology and Society. : SAGE Publications, Incorporated, pp. .