Research at Leeds Beckett
About Elliot Cohen
Dr Cohen worked as a Psychotherapist for several years and then worked in Psychiatric units and therapeutic communities (NHS Pennine Care) in and around Manchester; specialising in Psychodrama, Dramatherapy, Music Therapy and Mindfulness-Based Therapies.
He has travelled extensively around the Far East (China, Japan and India) where he studied Daoist, Buddhist, and Hindu philosophy. Following his travels he lectured at Manchester University's Centre for Jewish Studies, on hybrid/multiple religious identities and comparative religion, and was made an Honorary Fellow in 2006.
In 2007 he became the director of the Manchester Academy for Transpersonal Studies, and ran courses for the general public on Buddhist, Daoist and Hasidic philosophy with Manchester University's Centre for Continuing Education. He is also an authorised teacher of Buddhist meditation and Mindfulness-Based Approaches (Dhamma Nikethanaya Buddhist Academy).
- Interdisciplinary Psychology
- Doing Psychology
- Environmental Psychology
- Thinking Critically for Psychology
- Psychology of Persuasion
- Psychonautics (Navigating the Mind)
- Social Psychology of Music
- Peace Psychology
Dr Cohen's current research concerns the relationship between Psychology, Religion and Spirituality and Transpersonal Psychology. He has a particular interest in the ways some religious practices (typically Buddhist meditation or Daoist systems of cultivation) have been incorporated into Psychological theory and practice. He was listed in Marquis Who's Who in the World 2011 (28th Edition).
Journal articles (8)
- Cohen E (2016), Psychedelics and the Spiritual Path - Critical Voices and Considerations. Transpersonal Psychology Review, vol. 18 (1), p. 3-11.
View Repository Record
- Cohen E (2015), The Hold and Release Practice: A New Way into Meditation and Mindfulness. Transpersonal Psychology Review, vol. 17 (1), p. 9-19.
View Repository Record
- Cohen E (2013), Abraham Maslow's Taoistic Science: Experimental Methods and Experiential Modes. Transpersonal Psychology Review
- COHEN E (2010), Psychology and Daoism: Resisting Psychologisation, Assisting Dialogue. Journal of Daoist Studies
- Cohen E (2010), From the Bodhi tree, to the analyst's couch, then into the MRI scanner: The psychologisation of Buddhism. Annual Review of Critical Psychology, vol. 8
- Cohen E (2009), A Tantalising Taste of the Timeless Transcendent: An Adaptation of the Zen Tea Ceremony with Enhanced Care Service Users within the NHS. Transpersonal Psychology Review, vol. 13 (1), p. 29-37.
- Cohen E (2009), The Use of Holocaust Testimony by the Jews for Jesus: A Narrative Inquiry. Melilah: Manchester Journal of Jewish Studies, vol. 4
- Cohen E (2008), The Tao of Environmental Psychology: Breathing Heaven and Earth. Transpersonal Psychology Review, vol. 12 (2), p. 32-38.
- Cohen E (2011) Daoism, Psychology and Psychosomanautics. In: Cohen E Living Authentically: Daoist Contributions to Modern Psychology. Florida: Three Pines Press, pp. .
- Cohen E (2011) Jews for Jesus: Occupying Jewish Time and Space. In: Cohen E Sects and Sectarianism in Jewish History. Boston: Brill, pp. .
Conference contributions (1)
- COHEN E (2010) Daoism, Psychology and Psychosomanautics Los Angeles . Los Angeles: .