Dr Julia Calver
Dr Julia Calver is Course Director within the UK Centre for Events Management in the School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality. Julia has worked extensively in the arts sector prior to her academic career at the university.
Julia has worked extensively in the arts sector, both operationally in festival and arts management as well as strategically developing creative partnerships between the creative and education sectors at Arts Council England and West Yorkshire Lifelong Learning Network. She continues to run festivals and events and is currently Chair of Saltaire Inspired, the arts event organisation in Saltaire World Heritage Site.
She is keen on establishing and supporting creative networks and was invited to work in Gothenburg, Sweden with the arts development department in establishing their regional festival network. In addition she is Arts Quality Assessor for Arts Council England; External Examiner at University of Lincoln and Arts University Bournemouth and undertakes a number of external cultural event consultancies.
Julia is Course Director of BSc(Hons) Sports Events Management; BA(Hons) Creative Event Design, BA(Hons) Event Marketing, and BSc(Hons) Event Operations and Production Management courses; University Mentor for the HEAcademy programme and PhD supervisor. Her teaching Modules include :
• Event Futures
• Final Years & Masters Dissertation
• Creative Entrepreneurship
• Creative Event Marketing
Julia’s research interest involves exploring organisational ecologies, networks and leadership within the creative events sector. In 2016 Julia was awarded an Early Career Fellowship to investigate the state of circus events in the lead up to the 250th anniversary of the birth of circus in the UK in 2018 resulting in a soon to be published paper in Leisure Studies.
Journal articles (3)
- Calver JM; Gold J; Stewart J (2013), Action learning and the creative industries: the efficacy of an action learning set in building collaboration between a university and creative industries
- Calver J; Gold J; Stewart J (2013), Action learning and the creative industries: The efficacy of an action learning set in building collaboration between a university and creative industries
- Calver JM; Cuthbert G; Davison S; Devins D; Gold J; Hughe I; Tosey P (2013), HRD in 2020: a hop-on, hop-off city tour
- Gold J; Spackman T; Marks D; Beech N; Calver J; Ogun A; Whitrod Brown H (2015) Scholarly Practice in HRD. In: Saunders M; Tosey P Handbook of Research Methods in Human Resource Development. Cambridge: Edward Elgar, pp. 45-61.
- Calver JM; Gold J (2012) University engagement with the creative industries: How action learning can build collaboration between a university and creative industries. In: Hagoort G; Thomassen A; Kooyman R Pioneering Minds Worldwide: On the Entrepreneurial Principles of the Cultural and Creative Industries.. : Eburon Academic Press, pp. 178-181.