About Valerie Fletcher
Valerie works as a Psychological Therapies Lecturer and Diploma Course Leader in the Department of Health and Community Studies. She is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and runs a private practice as an Accredited (BACP) Counsellor/Psychotherapist/Supervisor.
Valerie has specialist BACP accredited experience working with Sexual Abuse, Bereavement, Mental Health Diagnoses, Depression and Anxiety. Alongside her successful Private Practice she has been working as a Psychological Therapist/ Counsellor within IAPT. and specialist centres for counselling survivors of sexual abuse and bereavement services.
Valerie enjoys helping counselling and mental health students to learn and flourish into successful practitioners. Prior to working at Leeds Beckett University
Valerie ran the Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling at Wakefield College and enjoyed a career as a qualified nurse for many years.
- Course Leader Diploma in HE Therapeutic Counselling
- Course Leader - Short Courses in Counselling
- Module Leader - Relational Framework (HE & PG Diploma In Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- Module Leader - Therapeutic Supervision (HE & PG Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- Module Leader - Mental Health and Practice (BSc Counselling and Mental Health)
- Module Tutor - Becoming a Therapist (HE & PG Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- Module Tutor - Therapeutic Skills (HE & PG Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- Module Tutor - Psychological Foundations (BSc Counselling and Mental Health)
- Module Tutor - Counselling Skills (BSc Counselling and Mental Health)
- MA Psychotherapy Supervisor
- Academic Advisor
Valerie is currently conducting EdD research into counselling/psychotherapists' experiences of working with clients with a diagnosis of a personality disorder and has experience of setting up and running a drop in centre within a HM Prison.
As an Accredited practitioner Valerie has conducted research into therapists perceptions of the evidence based guidelines used in psychotherapy for depression and is passionately interested in the promotion of the counselling/psychotherapy profession.
Valerie is also involved in research into resilience amongst mental health students and is interested in concepts of empowerment and confidence as vital facilitators for the modern mental health professional.
Journal articles (1)
- Fletcher V; Evans V (2019) FACTORS TO CONSIDER IN THE INTERPRETATION OF TRIAL RESULTS IN PSYCHOTHERAPY FOR DEPRESSION IN ADULTS, WITH REFERENCE TO SUICIDAL BEHAVIOUR
Conference contributions (2)
- Fletcher V (2020) Relational Psychotherapy as a Successful Intervention for Complex Clients: Including Those Diagnosed Disorders Chicago University , Washington DC 27/10/2020.
- Fletcher V (2019) Therapists' Views on the Evidence-based Guidelines for the Treatment of Depression in Adults Belfast 17/05/2019.