Go for it

Student Spotlight |Miriam Selena Baker Muyuka

Miriam Selena Baker Muyuka

Tell us a bit about yourself and what made you choose to study your course at Leeds Beckett.

I am a mother of four, three of which are at school. I also teach full time in a primary school. The course suited my career aspirations, and the flexibility and accessibility of this distance-learning programme further influenced my decision to study it at Leeds Beckett.

Have you been involved in anything of note during your course? What did you do and how did your course help to prepare you for it?

I have been involved in a research project as part of the Transformative Capstone Project module. This required me to apply for an ethical application through Leeds Beckett, as well as develop a research proposal which was accepted and paved the way to engaging in a qualitative research project based at my workplace.

My project involved about 30 participants, colleagues of mine, who supported the data assemblage, analysis and dissemination.

The course provided mentors who supported me throughout the programme with structure, timelines and more importantly pointing me in the right direction of a choice of thesis.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

The mentorship throughout the programme has been amazing. My tutors were so supportive, and I was able to set and achieve personal goals throughout the programme.

What support and opportunities have you been given during your time at Leeds Beckett and for life after university?

I have been supported every step of the way from developing the research proposal to submitting my final project. This programme has given me invaluable opportunities to explore different job perspectives in the field of transformation of education, in particular teacher recruitment and retention.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

Studying this course has been by far one of the most enjoyable and rewarding experiences. Being able to do it at my pace with supportive mentors has been amazing.

The understanding I have gained from conducting research has equipped me with skills for life.

What facilities do you use on your course? How do they support your studies?

As a distance learner, digital facilities and tools such as MyHub were very useful, particularly Padlet, skills for learning, and links to guides on writing at Masters level.

What is the teaching like in your course?

I chose to study a distance-learning programme which meant I had to discuss and timetable in the meetings needed. This was initially done as an induction meeting and I was given assignments to discuss in the follow-up meeting.

I cannot applaud the course mentors enough, they are very informed, understanding and empathetic.

What are your plans after you graduate?

I will be in my second year of teaching upon completion of the course and I hope to explore policy in education.

The impact this course has had on my career has been huge and the future opportunities in this field are so exciting.