"I’m passionate about teaching the next generations"

Student spotlight | Kinza Ahmed

Kinza Ahmed, a Primary Education student

Kinza is a final year BA (Hons) Primary Education (5-11) with recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status student. Here she shares what what her course is like, what she's most looking forward to about becoming a teacher and why she decided to be a student ambassador.

Course: BA (Hons) Primary Education (5-11) with QTS

Introduce yourself – tell us who you are and where you're from?

My name is Kinza, and I'm in my final year of university as a trainee teacher. I travel to university via public transport, which takes me an hour as I don't live very far away.

I have always looked up to my teachers throughout my education as role models, and I'm passionate about teaching the next generations.

From teachers in primary school to lecturers at university, they have greatly contributed to fostering and deepening my love for education, and this is my biggest aspiration as I reach the end of my course.

What course are you studying at Leeds Beckett and what has been your favourite part so far?

I'm in my final year of studying BA (Hons) Primary Education (5-11) with QTS course.

The last three years have been one of the best chapters of my life, where I have gained a phenomenal amount of experience and skills along the way. My course has helped me step out of my comfort zone and shown me how much I can really achieve.

Seminars are always fun and engaging, which made me eager to find out what we were going to be focusing on. The placement opportunities have indeed helped build my teacher identity, and I look forward to having my own class very soon.

My absolute favourite part of the course has to be the mathematics seminars; my passion for mathematics is unmatched, and the sessions delivered by the lecturers are always so interesting and interactive. It's definitely made me even more enthusiastic about the subject, and having the opportunity to focus on mathematics leadership has built my confidence massively.

Why did you decide to become a student ambassador for Leeds Beckett?

When looking for universities to apply for, I remember speaking to a Leeds Beckett student ambassador about their experience as a current trainee teacher studying at the university.

The reassurance given to me by the student made me feel so much more confident that Leeds Beckett would be the perfect place for me. They were super helpful and honest, and being an ambassador myself is a role I've loved taking on as a final year student.

I enjoy speaking to prospective students and applicants about my experience and helping them feel more comfortable. I'm always happy to answer any questions they may have about the course, which I've loved every minute of.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about studying at Leeds Beckett?

As someone who began this course feeling extremely anxious, I would say just go for it. I've come to the end of this course feeling more confident than I ever have before, and I'm sure many others on the course feel the same.

You'll have the support of an amazing team of lecturers, who always want the very best for you.