Studying Creative Technologies at Leeds Beckett

Student spotlight | Jaime Malpica Aguilar

An illustration by Jaime Malpica Aguilar

Jaime Malpica Aguilar is a current student, studying MSc Creative Technology. Jaime is an international student, originally from Peru. Here he shares his story of studying at Leeds Beckett and what its like to be an international student at the Leeds School of Arts.

Introduce yourself – tell us who you are and what you do.

Hello, my name is Jaime Malpica Aguilar and I’m an international student at Leeds Beckett University, from Peru.

I’m studying MSc Creative Technology while actively looking for opportunities to keep improving my skills in the creative industry and gain more experience.

Talk us through your career so far.

Unlike other students on the course, my career after my undergraduate degree is more on the technological and technical side.

I graduated from the University of Technology and Engineering Careers (UTEC) in Peru as an Electronic Engineer, specialising in automation and control.

Since earning my degree, I've had several roles in telecommunications and optimisation where I learned other skills. Still, I decided to work my way towards a role in the creative industry.

What course are you studying at Leeds Beckett and what has been your favourite part so far?

I’ve studied several courses related to art; mainly in digital media, digital illustration and UX design. Then, I came across the opportunity to move to the UK to study my current course – MSc Creative Technology.

The transition hasn’t been the easiest, but through consistent effort and good time management, I am handling it well.

One of the things I most enjoy about my course at Leeds Beckett is the regular opportunities for learning. Most of the lecturers showcase interest and empathy, and a great number of classes provided seminars with active members of the creative industry.

These include professionals working for major companies, and / or freelancers with several years of experience to back them up. Their portfolios prove their level of skill, and they are more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

How has the course equipped you for your career?

MSc Creative Technology has taught me a number of skills that have opened the doors to the creative industry. Not only creative skills, but management and methodologies guaranteed to help enhance project ideas and how to start working on them.

Almost every lecturer is a professional in the field, who is willing to aid the professional careers of students.

I have been motivated to take networking more seriously, and had it not been for that, I would not have the skills, opportunities and confidence that I have now.

"I am now one step closer to my dream job."

What opportunities have you had as part of your course?

I've had the chance to participate in various seminars where professionals in the creative industry have shared their experiences and work with me. It has been greatly useful to broaden my perspective of what I can do as a member of the industry.

Besides that, there had been lots of opportunities to work alongside other students, either collaborating or as a participant in research studies.

I’ve also had the chance to work with students in the gaming field as Concept Artist. I was able to show them and other professionals my portfolio to get feedback.

Leeds Beckett shares job opportunities or seminars with entities like Creative Access who offer jobs in the creative industry. Thanks to all this, I am now one step closer to my dream job.

What does the future hold for you?

It's hard to say. I have a clearer view of what field in the creative industry I want to go into, but I still need to broaden my skillset, gain more contacts in the field, and have the initiative to be an active member.

Still, I am very optimistic about it. I have the support of not only my family, but also the friends, teachers and services available in Leeds Beckett.

What would you say to someone considering studying your course at Leeds Beckett?

Whoever reads this who is considering joining Leeds Beckett University, I encourage you to go for it.

The range of opportunities Leeds School of Arts offers is simply amazing, the facilities and equipment it has are vast, and I assure you that you will find the place you belong to in the creative industry.

It won’t be quick, and it certainly won't be easy, but it’s a chance I decided to take, and I believe you should take it as well.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself.