How my passion for travel led me to study at Leeds Beckett

Student spotlight | Sophie Wynne

Dark haired female with ponytail

My name is Sophie Wynne and I’m currently a 2nd year student studying International Tourism Management with Marketing at Leeds Beckett. 

I have always had a passion for travel and I knew from an early age that I wanted to pursue a career in the tourism industry. I started my journey by studying a BTEC level 3 national diploma in travel and tourism at college.  Then after college I decided to expand my knowledge of the industry and study tourism at a higher level, which led me to Leeds Beckett University.

Why did you choose to study at Leeds Beckett?

When I was at college the course director, Lisa Gorton visited and talked about the international tourism courses at Leeds Beckett. The modules sounded really interesting and the assessment methods appealed to me. She also told us about all the opportunities available as part of the course, including an industry placement year with some amazing organisations and lots of networking with industry professionals.  This type of experience meant so much more to me than just getting a degree, it would prepare me for life after university and help me achieve my dream career. 

Also, when I started looking for tourism courses the one at Leeds Beckett really stood out as it’s one of the few universities that offered international tourism management with marketing. I knew I wanted to work in the tourism industry, but also been able to get experience of how to market within the tourism industry will open up other options when I graduate.

I knew I didn’t want to move too far away from home in Manchester, so Leeds was the perfect choice.  It’s such an amazing, friendly city and has something for everyone. The nightlife is also fantastic, which was a big thing for me!

What opportunities and support have you accessed on your course?

There are so many great opportunities and support available. A stand out moment for me was when I got the opportunity to travel to Normandy in my second year. Not only was it a great experience to discover another part of the world with my friends, but it also helped me gain insight into the many different types of tourists who visit Normandy. I also learned more about their tourism products, which came in useful for one of my assignments!

The resources available at Leeds Beckett are amazing. Both campuses have really good libraries, and the staff and lecturers are always happy to support you. In addition, we have timetabled online live lounge sessions where we can ask for assignment support or recap on any content we don’t quite understand. I also find the online skills for learning section on My Beckett really useful. It offers academic support to meet many different needs, from reading information, watching videos or booking onto workshops in order to help develop certain skills for assignments that you may be struggling with. 

What has been a defining moment for you so far? 

Each day I am growing in confidence. I’m naturally shy and the thought of doing group work and presentations used to scare me. However, these are incorporated into how you are assessed on the course so it's really helped me to overcome my fears and develop my social skills. 

I'm also really proud of the grades I have achieved to date (an average of 71% in first year and 85% in the tourism entrepreneurship module!). It’s great when all my hard work and effort pays off, it makes that extra study worthwhile but I couldn’t have done any of this without the amazing support of my lecturers.

Do you have any advice for someone thinking about studying International Tourism Management?

Yes, just do it! I moved to Leeds and didn’t know anyone, but I can honestly say it has been one of the best decisions I ever made. I've met so many great people and made friends for life . 

The course is a great opportunity to be well educated on the tourism industry and I am confident that the access and support I have had will lead me to a great career in the future. 

Visit our website to find out more about our International Tourism Management courses and the opportunities awaiting you.