I have just spent an amazing month as a Visiting PhD Scholar at the UK Centre for Events Management, within the School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management.

I learnt so much from this experience and staff and research students were very welcoming. I was given my own space in the PhD suite, attended lectures and meetings and gave a seminar to post graduate students.

The main benefit was the contacts I made. Through these I am convinced that I will be able to strengthen my research profile in a field that is not very well developed in Spain.

Leeds Beckett University is the leading research centre in the field of Event Management and therefore I was able to spend time with the people whose work inspired me to further my own research in this area.

Another of the great discoveries I took away with me was the idea of the writing retreat, organised by Professor Emma Wood, where I was able to learn some very useful tips for writing my PhD thesis.

Margarita Gil Jerez and a group of other Visiting Scholars pose for a group photo at Leeds Beckett University's Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management writing retreat

The group, including Margarita Gil Jerez, who attended the School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management 2023 writing retreat.

A wonderful experience that amazed me was the ETHM Research Degree Student Conference organised by Professor Kate Dashper. Here I was able to learn first-hand about my PhD peers' doctoral projects, and to see that events can be studied from many different and interesting perspectives.

Finally, I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff in the School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management who made my time at Leeds Beckett so special and rewarding.

Reflecting on Margarita’s time, Professor Emma Wood commented: “Hosting international PhD Scholars enables us to gain new perspectives and to share our expertise with the wider doctoral community.

“Marga was a delight to host. She enthusiastically joined in academic and research sessions whenever possible contributing to teaching and to our research conference. She used her free time to be a tourist enjoying the attractions of Leeds and Yorkshire more widely.”

Visit our website to find out more about the School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management.