My interest in the way the mind works, as well as crime, led me to this course

Student spotlight | Spike Goodall, BA (Hons) Criminology with Psychology

Headshot of Spike outside

Hi! I’m Spike, criminology with psychology student currently about to start my final undergraduate year. I started off in Brigshaw High School and stayed on for their sixth form, where I discovered my love for social science with their Psychology course. With an equal interest in crime, the combined Criminology with Psychology course was my next logical step and Leeds Beckett very kindly gave me an unconditional offer. Since then, I’ve never looked back.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Criminology

Ever since I could talk, I’ve always had a fascination with the mind. Growing up, I was often the bane of teachers and friends for asking the strangest questions about the most mundane possible topics. I found out, in time, that I was never satisfied with an explanation someone would give for their actions; there had to be more to it than that. A level psychology opened my eyes to a lot of my burning questions and seemed to join the dots between so many important concepts we take for granted. My curiosity piqued, I simply had to learn more about this ‘wonder science’ that made everything make sense and there just didn’t seem to be any better option for me than Criminology with Psychology here at Leeds Beckett – at that point I decided I was going to take that course no matter what. 

What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

Leeds Beckett went above and beyond to be the most interesting, accommodating and proactive university out of all my options. The way they detailed the course content grabbed my attention, their genuineness and excitement oozed out of their web pages and made me really want to get involved.

After three visits and over two years of consideration, Leeds Beckett made me feel welcome, that I would have fun and that I would be given the greatest chance of success.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

Despite how unbelievably nerdy it sounds, my favourite thing about studying at Leeds Beckett has been the course itself. It has been immensely interesting and thought-provoking, the assignments have been well-designed, and all the staff have been so kind and helpful. Once more, studying here consistently makes you realise how important the knowledge you gain will benefit your future career. I couldn’t ask for a better-quality experience.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

I would say this: if you want to better understand society, if you want to better understand the individual, if you want to gain a new perspective that will change your life forever, if you want every day to be exciting and different, if you want a course that will benefit a plethora of future careers, if you want the opportunity to stand out from the crowd and make a real impact on the world … then please study this course. You will not regret it.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!