Following my passion in Creative Writing

Student Spotlight - Kathryn Flood

A headshot of Kathryn smiling at the camera with red hair and red lipstick
Course - BA (Hons) Creative Writing

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Leeds Beckett, and your chosen course? 

I am a mature student who was drawn to Leeds Beckett quite young. When I went to visit a family member on Headingley Campus and in my wait spoke to anyone who would listen to me before sitting down in a corner overlooking the field and wrote a short story about a forest that goes on forever. Fittingly, my chosen course is Creative Writing. 

As for what led me to apply, I had been looking for courses and modules after having left working for Leeds United Football Club, found this one just as I got a job. When lockdown happened sometime later, I took it as my chance to go after what I really wanted.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying your course at Leeds Beckett? 

I find it hard to narrow down but as for what I would tell other people on first discussion, is how accessible and neurodivergent friendly everything has been. I have had a working life so whilst I had hopes as a woman with dyspraxia my expectations were a little more cynical. From wellbeing to staff they have always gone above and beyond. Another is a sense of community has been encouraged, which leads me back to the people. However, also social learning space; lovely and cosy, not too loud, not too quiet. 

What opportunities or work placements have you been involved in?

Simply loads. During my second year I was part of slam poetry national competition where a team of us were sent to Birmingham Hippodrome for the weekend to compete on behalf of the University, which was a great experience. As a Course Representative I have been given opportunities to discuss with students, staff and the Students Union how things are going and how to approach them. As well as an opportunity to sit in as a course validator which is generally just quite cool to see how people put a course together.

Is there a piece of work or project you have worked on that you are particularly proud of, and why? 

In class, I’ve enjoyed plenty of pieces but one that I felt proud of in how much it spoke to me was in the Adaptations module, where I scripted the Capulet Party scene but Muppet’s Romeo and Juliet. Outside of class, it would be my involvement in the Spoken Word Society. At the end of first year, I was handed the reigns to an Open Mic night and thanks to the community in classes and the lecturers for not only allowing me to bug them and their students but also being part of the open mic community. We made a society where poetry is silly and serious and lax and whatever you want it to be. I couldn’t be prouder of everyone who’s been in it and also myself for taking a chance. 

What support have you been given whilst studying and for after you graduate?

I have been given plenty of support my entire study both on minor disability requirements I have but also emotional check-ins as well as attending Wellbeing which was exceptionally helpful.  For after, there have been more post-study events than I can keep track of. I, due to physical health issues, need some time off but I know whatever routes I go down I’ve looked at plenty of options in them.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying your course? 

Find your angle. If you’re coming into writing, find what you do that makes 100 people writing a story not quite like yours and trust in that voice. Let yourself and you’ll learn a million different things, each like jigsaw pieces you need for first puzzle or to save over time. Though, in writing, passion is the guiding star.