I’m loving my work placement as a Reminiscence Activity Facilitator for the M&S Archive in Leeds. It contains over 72,000 objects which tell the story of M&S, from its foundation as a pedlar’s stall on Kirkgate Market to one of the planet's most desirable high street brands. The collection is packed with treasures dating from its 1884 inception to the present day.  It tells so much more than a business story; it’s a social history archive and includes all manner of clothing and underwear, household objects, packaging and advertising, covering 14 decades of British fashion and homeware styles.

The Archive uses its collection to enhance the lives of people who live with dementia, as part of the its external outreach programme. It’s my responsibility to take carefully selected objects from the Archive’s Handling Collection into Leeds’ communities and deliver reminiscence sessions within community care settings. I talk about the history of vintage clothing and household items to help people recall memories, stimulate connections, and create meaningful conversations. In turn, it can improve mood, well-being and memory capacity. It’s moving, humbling and incredibly rewarding.

This proven well-being therapy is powerful and effective. I gained qualifications and expertise when I worked in this area of therapy during the pandemic. I’d previously run my own graphic design consultancy business but wanted a change of direction. I loved working in communities because I mixed with people from many more walks of life. I’m now pursuing my love of writing in an exciting new career, underpinned by this degree.  This type of community work inspires some of my writing, ie character traits, experiences, and storylines (changing names and personal details, of course). I’m developing an idea for a sitcom, and a play and have written two short stories, as well as a poem. Working in community settings is a privilege and certainly feeds my imagination. It’s set me in good stead to progress in my writing career.

Katie Cameron, Archive & Outreach Officer, M&S Archive said, “Briony is a fantastic addition to the Archive team. She understood what was required of her straight away, and delivers sessions with patience and thoughtfulness, as well as being able to think on her feet. We know that we can trust Briony to deliver an informative, entertaining and insightful session.”

A woman with brown hair talking closely with an older woman with white hair looking at a white glove

Briony working on placement - Photographs are courtesy of Anchor Homes