Students can spend a lot of time in their room, it’s a place to relax, do your university work and chill with your friends, so it is important you make it your own. As you prepare to move to uni, you may worry about getting homesick or whether you will easily settle in. I’ve found that making your new uni room cosy and comfortable is one of the best ways to help you feel at home quickly. By reading this blog I hope my experience and tips will help you achieve this.

Add little touches with cushions, throws & blankets

My first university room was in halls and was a spacious size. I’ve found that although large rooms have many perks, it can sometimes be hard to make them cosy, but it’s definitely possible! This leads me to my first tip, bed accessories. This may seem like a simple one but having cushions, blankets, throws, and even teddies on your bed can add a new level of cosiness to your room. The bed is often the focal point of the room, so you want to make it look appealing. In my opinion having a plain duvet and pillows can make the bed look flat, so I like to add accessories to it gives it depth and makes it look and feel even cosier. If you’re like me and a big fan of specific seasons you can even switch the cushions and throws every so often to reflect the time of year. Last Christmas I had Winnie the Pooh Christmas bedding and as silly and simple as it seemed it gave my room a festive feeling and made me feel closer to home.

Double bed with pink sheet and two black and white chequered cushions

Eye-catching cushions like these will instantly transform your room

Make the room feel bigger and more colourful with wall decorations

My second university room was quite the opposite to my first, as it was very small. If you’re someone like me who spends a lot of time in their room, it’s important to make your room feel spacious and personal – nobody wants to be sat in a plain room that feels cramped. I have a tip to make your room look bigger, while still giving you that warm cosy feeling. By using things such as vines, fairy lights, and decorative flowers you can add a border or feature wall to your room. I used vines to decorate two of my university rooms and it helped make the room feel bigger and added detail and depth, so the walls didn’t look bare. I also loved how the greenery made my room feel livelier and adding in a pop of colour was a great way to cover up my plain white wall. I also hung photos of my friends and family down the vines. This added more personal touches to my room and made it feel more homely. If you want to decorate in a similar style, I bought my vines from Amazon for under £10 and I also got some cheap adhesive clips, so I didn’t damage the walls. That one’s an important one as you want to make sure you get your deposit back.

Bedside table with candles next to a white bed draped in illuminated gold fairy lights

As well as using decorative vines, I find fairy lights help to create a cosy atmosphere

Your bedroom and study space

When you’re a student, your study space is really important as you have lots of work to do. Like many students, my study space at home is my bedroom. So, for me, it is essential I keep my desk area organised and comfortable. One thing I have learned from my years at university is that if I don’t have an easily accessible and clear desk to complete my work, I won’t always have the motivation to do it. Trust me, the last thing you want to do when you’ve got to complete assignments is to start tidying up. I stick to a rule that my desk always has to be an empty, clutter-free space. This doesn’t mean you can’t still use your desk for personal items, just make sure you organise them, too. Anything I put on my desk is organised, for instance, I use a box for storing items like my makeup, medication, and hair accessories, rather than keeping them loose. To keep the cosy vibes going, I bought a pretty, floral box from Ikea for £3.50. The main items I tend to store on my desk are things like academic items, books and stationery. If you want to make your desk feel a bit less plain and boring, you could choose some stylish desk accessories that match the colour of your other room accessories. This way your study space will blend into the cosiness of the room, while remaining practical.

I hope by using these tips you can make your uni bedroom feel cosy and somewhere you enjoy being in. The key thing to remember is a room is what you make of it, putting a bit of time into decorating and accessorising it can turn a simple room into a cosy, relaxing palace.

Here at Leeds Beckett we have loads of great accommodation options

Take a look at all our Halls and find out what the bedrooms are like.

SEARCH OUR HALLS OF RESIDENCE