16 Sep 2024
*Main image by Johnny Carr: Johnny Carr Film and Photography
Push your creative boundaries
Study a range of fashion design methods as you explore experimental and industry-standard approaches to pattern cutting and garment construction. We’ll encourage you to push the boundaries of your fashion thinking through fashion design practice, whilst being mindful of sustainable practice, diversity and inclusion.
As part of this course, you’ll:
- Create designs in response to trends, market segmentations and technical innovations, as you explore fabric and form to achieve resolved 3D outcomes
- Work on high-profile industry-led briefs, live projects, and competitions to create a professional industry-ready fashion portfolio
- Develop a strong understanding of the cultural, ethical, and environmental concerns inherent in the fashion industry
- Understand ways to develop your 2D and 3D skills, and how to communicate concepts to your audience
- Enhance your learning and understanding of the fashion industry through our exceptional Visiting Lecturer programme
- Apply industry-recognised CAD (computer-aided design) techniques to your conceptual and technical designs, including Adobe Creative Suite and Clo3D
- Have the opportunity to work in the industry during the optional sandwich (placement) year
Your graduate collection
Enjoy an aspirational final year in our dedicated final year studio space, where you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside our MA Fashion students as you design and realise your graduate collection.
For more course updates, follow us on Instagram @leedsbeckettfashion.
Designated creative spaces
We’ll give you a designated studio space in our award-winning Broadcasting Place building - home to many of our creative courses. You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with other innovative thinkers in subjects such as fine art, graphic design, illustration, music, and film.
Fashion is one of the world's biggest industries and we believe it’s about more than just the commercially driven production and promotion of new collections. It’s a reflection of society, identity and culture, and a powerful protagonist for change. You’ll learn to challenge the idea of fashion as the manifestation of temporary consumer trends.
Showcase your style
We’re committed to providing a course that responds to your individual personality, interests, and creativity. You’ll study a diverse range of briefs to develop a portfolio of professional skills that will help to open doors to an array of careers in fashion.
You’ll also have the opportunity to impress the public and industry by exhibiting your work at the end of your final year. This will include a range of showcase opportunities, such as our in-house LSA Degree Show. See examples of fashion students' work in the Leeds School of Arts Festival.
We often run guest lectures and workshops throughout the year, both on campus and in conjunction with external organisations. The INSIDE/OUT lecture series brings together some of the most exciting names from the fields of art, architecture, design, fashion, film, music, performing arts and beyond. You can catch up on previous lectures by visiting the Leeds Arts Research Centre site.
Why study fashion design at Leeds Beckett University?
- Learn from tutors with extensive professional experience and networks - including internationally renowned designer Professor Matty Bovan
- Opportunity to take a ‘sandwich’ year – a year of paid employment in industry which will build your skills and experience
- Study within one of the largest university arts communities in the north
- Leeds' thriving creative sector - including countless opportunities for fashion graduates on our doorstep
- 20th in the UK for Fashion & Textiles*
- 100% of students on BA (Hons) Fashion (now Fashion Design) were positive about the available library resources**
*2024 Guardian League Subject Tables
**National Student Survey 2023