- CARNEGIE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
- Study with us
- Research and expertise
- Our community
- Partnerships and programmes
- News, events and blog
Carnegie Centre of Excellence for Mental Health in Schools
Strengthening the mental health of the next generation by supporting schools to make a positive change at all levels of the UK's education system, hereby improving outcomes and life chances.
The Carnegie Centre of Excellence for Mental Health in Schools is focused on evidence-based solutions which address schools', pupils and parents/carers needs; the development of a professional community of school mental health experts; and leading innovation within the area.
We work with schools, organisations and professionals committed to ensuring that mental health difficulties do not limit success at school and beyond. We seek partnerships and collaborations to drive forward this agenda.
Our work focuses on:
- Providing support and guidance for schools, including professional development for staff working in schools
- Annual conference to profile innovative and proven work, deepen understanding and support the link between policy and practice
- Mental Health Awards for Schools, Boarding Schools, Further Education, and Education in Sport to evidence and show effectiveness and impact of a whole school approach to Mental Health
- Professional Membership for School Mental Health Leads
- Research to ensure that interventions are evidence-based and that we produce best practice publications. Take a look at our latest Mental Health in Schools Insights
- Collaboration with strategic partners to develop provision and support for schools
Our Senior Mental Health Lead Training Courses have been approved to be on the Department for Education (DfE) approved training course framework.
Carnegie School Mental Health and Wellbeing Lead Community
Our vision is to develop a community that supports and empowers School based colleagues who are committed to strengthening mental health and wellbeing for their whole school communities.
The Carnegie Centre of Excellence for Mental Health in Schools in partnership with Minds Ahead exists to strengthen the mental health of the next generation by supporting schools to make a positive change at all levels of the UK’s and International education systems, thereby improving outcomes and life chances.
The Centre is focused on evidence-based solutions which address schools’, pupils and parents/carers needs; and brings together a professional community of school mental health leads and other educational and mental health practitioners. Our work is focussed on supporting schools to develop a culture of positive mental health.
We have created a range of professional programmes specifically designed to help teachers, support staff and governors develop a range of strategies to improve and manage staff and pupils’ mental health across all education settings.
Professional learning programmes
mental health awards
Our strategic partners support our work by hosting and promoting our provision, support in developing new content and initiatives, pilot our programmes and support our research.
research and publications
This series of books provide comprehensive advice to early years settings, schools and universities on how to promote mental health in children and young people. Each chapter provides up-to-date statistics, research and case studies to exemplify practice. The books are a timely response to the government’s priority of addressing mental ill health in young people. Currently, it is estimated that 1 in every ten young people has a mental health need. The causes of mental ill health are complex and multi-faceted and swift intervention can enable those affected to thrive and achieve their potential. This series provides coverage of evidence-based interventions within the context of a whole institutional approach to mental health.