Your Wellbeing at Leeds Beckett

This page provides information on wellbeing resources, tools and support that is available to you whilst you are studying with us.

Image of a student smiling while performing an activity with Lego
The exterior of the Rose Bowl seen through a tree

Your Student Wellbeing team

Student Wellbeing offer advice and support on lots of issues, as well as signposting to other helpful support services and resources.

  • Is your wellbeing impacting your life and/or studies? It might be a good time to speak to one of our team to guide you towards the appropriate type of support.

If you feel you need to speak to someone sooner and are concerned about your health or wellbeing, it is important that you contact your GP or NHS 111 for advice.

If you are having a mental health crisis, you can call a local NHS mental health helpline for 24-hour advice and support: Find a local NHS urgent mental health helpline.

Urgent or out of hours support

We can offer support if you’re struggling with:

  • Mental health difficulties (such as low mood and anxiety).
  • Academic stress which is making it difficult to engage with your studies.
  • Adjusting to university life or settling into placements.
  • Relationship difficulties or other personal problems, which are causing emotional or psychological distress (including bereavement or loss).

We can help you to access Specialist Mentor support (if you are eligible) and also support you to access external or specialist services for other difficulties such as:

  • Drug, alcohol and gambling addictions.
  • Eating disorders.
  • Domestic abuse or gendered violence.

Your assessment appointment will provide a confidential space to talk, work through concerns and identify practical steps to overcome difficulties. Following that we might:

  • Refer you for further support from Student Wellbeing, either from a mental health practitioner or a counsellor
  • Refer you to other areas in our university and / or external services
  • Refer you to a range of self-help materials to help work through problems you are experiencing

As part of your assessment, you may be referred on to one of the following services:

Short-term Mental Health support and advice

Our mental health practitioners provide a range of practical mental health support:

  • Positive coping strategies to enable you to better manage your mental health and wellbeing.
  • Guidance applying these strategies to work, life and study.
  • Help resolving any academic concerns resulting from your mental health.
  • Support connecting to other relevant services (internal and external to our university) to ensure your mental health needs are appropriately supported

Short-term Counselling

Counselling sessions provide a safe one-to-one space for you to:

  • Confidentially discuss something on your mind.
  • Be listened to by an experienced counsellor.
  • Make sense of what is happening.
  • Explore options for change.

Our counselling service is accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). For more information about our counselling service please see our Counselling page. 

Specialist Mentoring

Mentors provide longer-term support in the following areas:

  • Reflecting upon barriers experienced due to the student’s disability (mental health, autistic spectrum, or condition with lasting psychological impact).
  • Help develop strategies to support participation with studies / university life.
  • Support confidence building and autonomy.
  • Facilitate communication with peers, course team, and other relevant services.

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) provides funding for Specialist Mentor support. More information on how to apply for DSA funding can be found on the website. 

We are open Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays). Monday-Thursday 09:00-17:00, and Friday 09:00-16:30.

If you are concerned about your mental health or wellbeing, it is important that you contact your GP or NHS 111 for advice. You can find information about how to access urgent support, including help for anyone experiencing domestic abuse on our urgent support webpage. 

If you’re not already registered with a GP, we strongly encourage you to do so. You may like to consider registering with Leeds Student Medical Practice they specialise in the care of students and are based in the city centre. Find a GP in Leeds. 


    Looking for something else?

    There's lots of helpful advice and guidance on our student information pages. Try searching if you know what you're looking for or if you're not sure where to go, you can browse our A-Z.