Undergraduate and postgraduate taught admissions

Page last updated:
30 Nov 2023

On this page you'll find all the information you require to successfully complete your application to study on our taught courses.

This information is for all home, European Union and international applicants.

Your Admissions team is here to support you through your application process from your initial enquiry through to your enrolment on the course of your choice. If you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us via the details below.

The method you use to apply depends on the type of course you want to study.

If you want to study a full-time undergraduate course (e.g. BA, BSc or MEng), you will need to apply via UCAS.

Applications to study undergraduate courses that have part-time or distance learning routes should be made directly to our university using our Applicant Portal.
If you want to study a taught postgraduate course (e.g. MA, MSc), you will normally apply directly to our university using our Applicant Portal. There are some exceptions to this which are listed below, along with the route to apply through:

  • Teacher Training (PGCE) – DfE application portal
  • MA Social Work – UCAS
  • PG Dip / LLM Legal Practice (full-time study) – Central Applications Board
  • Graduate Diploma in Law / Master of Laws England and Wales (full-time study) – Central Applications Board
  • MA International Communication – apply directly to the Geerte Hofstede Consortium

To ensure you are applying via the correct method, please find your chosen course using our Online Prospectus, and then once on the course page, use the button marked ‘Click here to apply’ to be directed to the correct application method.

Research awards (e.g. PhD) are handled by our University Research Office. For information on applying to a research award please see ‘how to apply’.

If you want to discuss your suitability for a particular course before making an application, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to advise you.

Full-time undergraduate applications (UCAS)

If we have made you an unconditional offer via UCAS and you then choose us as your firm or insurance choice, this will automatically update on your UCAS Hub as Unconditional Firm Accept (UFA) or Unconditional Insurance Accept (UIA).

If we have made you a conditional offer via UCAS and you then choose us as your firm or insurance choice, this will become Conditional Firm (CF) or Conditional Insurance (CI) on UCAS Hub. When we receive confirmation that you have satisfied the conditions of your offer, we will inform UCAS who will update your Track to Unconditional Firm Accept (UFA) or Unconditional Insurance Accept (UIA).

Part-time undergraduate and postgraduate applications (Applicant Portal)

If you made an online application directly to our university and we have made you an unconditional offer, you will then be able to accept your place through your Application Portal account. If you have unconditional offers for more than one course, you will need to choose which one to accept.

If you made an online application directly to our university and we have made you a conditional offer, you will need to provide evidence you have met the conditions of your offer, for example your degree certificate or a written reference. You are able to upload this information to the conditions in your Application Portal account or send this information as an email attachment to directadmissions@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.

If you have a conditional offer we will need to see your results when you have completed the qualifications you are currently studying. For UCAS applications we receive most of these results automatically, so if you are studying any of the following qualifications you will not usually need to provide results yourself:

  • A levels
  • AS levels
  • Advanced Diploma
  • Access to Higher Education 
  • BTEC qualifications
  • Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE)
  • Diploma in Foundation Studies;
  • Extended Project
  • International Baccalaureate 
  • Key Skills
  • Scottish qualifications

For most other qualifications (for example, GCSEs, degrees) you will need to send us proof of your results. Usually the easiest way is to email a scanned copy of your certificate or transcript. The email addresses to use are:

If you are having trouble providing results, or if you are not sure whether you need to, please contact us to discuss this.

If your application is unsuccessful, we will usually provide a reason why. You will be able to see this on UCAS Hub or on your Applicant Portal account. If you think there has been an error (e.g. if you have a qualification which you think we have not taken into account) or are unclear about the reason, you can contact us to discuss this, which may lead to us reconsidering your application.

If you are currently studying at another university and would like to apply to transfer to a course at our university, you will need to make a new application to us. This would be via UCAS for a full-time undergraduate course or via the Applicant Portal for postgraduate or part-time undergraduate course. Please make sure you include details of your current course, including marks and module details, and to specify the correct point of entry (e.g. Point of Entry 2 if you are applying to start on year 2 of a full-time undergraduate course).

We cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request to transfer; therefore, it is recommended that applicants wait until they have been offered a place before taking any further action regarding their current situation.

You will be required to complete our Recognition of Prior Learning process through which we will assess the learning you have completed against the learning you would have completed on the modules you will be exempt from on our course. More details can be found on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

If you are currently a student at our university and want to transfer to another course here, you will not usually need to make a new application but may be required to complete the Recognition of Prior Learning process to transfer modules across the two courses. Please contact the Student Administration team for the course you want to join in order to discuss transfer options.

If you have previously studied or are currently studying at higher education level, we may be able to consider you for advanced entry. You may want to apply to join the second or third year of one of our undergraduate courses if you are studying a similar course elsewhere or you may have completed an HND or Foundation degree and want to continue studying in a related area.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible for entry, please contact us to discuss your application and we will be happy to advise you. You will also find helpful information on our Recognition of Prior Learning web pages.

We also have a number of top-up courses which are specifically designed for those who have already completed an HND or Foundation degree and wish to top up to a full honours degree. Details of these courses can be found on the Online Prospectus.

For full-time top-up courses you should apply through UCAS, whereas for part-time / distance learning top-up courses, use the Applicant Portal.

In most cases applicants are required to meet the academic requirements specified on the Online Prospectus. However, if you are classed as a ‘mature’ applicant we may also be able to consider other qualifications and / or relevant experience not listed in the entry criteria, provided that this demonstrates the range of skills and attributes necessary for the course.

If you are unsure whether your experience and qualifications would be sufficient for entry, please contact the relevant admissions team with details of your qualifications and background, and the course in which you are interested. It would be useful for you to email attachments or post copies of certificates and / or transcripts if you have them. We may then give you a decision in principle on whether you meet the criteria for entry on to the course.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible for entry, please contact us to discuss your application and we will be happy to advise you. You will also find helpful information on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

Please note that some courses may also use further selection criteria, such as personal statements and / or interviews, and some courses will still require you to meet the full academic entry requirements.

If you are applying from outside of the UK, or if your qualifications are from a country outside of the UK, please refer to the International Study pages where you can find information on the qualifications required from your country: Find Your Country.

You can also contact our International Admissions team on 0113 812 1111 or at international@leedsbeckett.ac.uk for further advice on applying for our courses.

If your nationality / country of birth / domicile are either all or some outside of the UK and / or you have not been living in the UK in the last three years, then we may need to undertake a fee status assessment to determine whether you will be classed as a home or overseas student for fees purposes.

We will check this information when you submit your application and send you a form to complete if this is required.

Some courses require applicants to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check as part of the entry requirements. If a DBS check is required this will be specified in the entry requirements on the Online Prospectus.

Applicants holding firm offers on courses which require DBS checks will be sent guidance on how to complete the online form by the DBS team. For courses starting in September this will usually be around May / June each year, or around October for courses starting in January. You will need to complete the process and receive a DBS certificate before starting the course.

If you already hold a DBS certificate obtained through another organisation, you will still need to complete a new check.

Some courses also require applicants to complete a satisfactory health check before being accepted. Applicants holding firm offers will initially be required to complete a health questionnaire. Instructions will be sent at the same time as the DBS guidance as specified above.

The DBS in the UK is currently not able to conduct overseas criminal record checks. International applicants – those without British citizenship and British citizens with a significant period of overseas residency of 12 months or more after the age of 16 – therefore, require a criminal records check or certificate of good conduct from their home / overseas country(ies) prior to entry on to the course. A UK DBS check will also be required prior to enrolment; the DBS team will send you guidance on how to apply following your offer of a place. The application process and time frames for overseas police checks can differ from country to country and so it is recommended that you start the process as soon as possible after you have been made a conditional / unconditional offer to ensure you have enough lead-in time to obtain the check prior to enrolment. For some countries, an individual can only apply in person, and so it is preferable for those applicants still resident in the relevant country, to apply before entering the UK.

Contact admissions

If you have an enquiry about our courses or the application process, please contact our Admissions Enquiries team.

Looking for something else?

There's lots of helpful advice and guidance on our student information pages. Try searching if you know what you're looking for or if you're not sure where to go, you can browse our A-Z.