Information for international students

Your Student Immigration Advice and Compliance team are here to provide support for you throughout your stay at Leeds Beckett. We can talk to you in confidence to discuss any matter that may be troubling you.

Image of a male architecture student standing with his art work behind him
Clock tower at Leeds Town Hall

Please get in touch if you need help and want to talk to someone about anything to do with studying and living in the UK. 

You may have questions about:

  • Visa extension queries
  • Family visits
  • Dependants’ visas
  • Police registration
  • Changing immigration status
  • Support whilst studying at the university
  • Working after your studies
  • Pre-departure support

Our advisers are available via telephone or email– before you get in touch with the team you might find the answer you’re looking for in the pages below or our helpful FAQs at the bottom of this page.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


If you are a new student trying to enrol online for the current academic year, please check whether you have completed the following;

  • Paid 50% of your tuition fees? Information on how to pay visit our Tuition fee payment page
  • Created an account in our Online Welcome and Registration System? In here you can find lots of useful information, enrol online and view your course induction information and key course contacts
  • Completed the International Check-in Questionnaire to let us know your current location, anticipated arrival date and visa collection information? This will have been sent to you by e-mail after accepting your unconditional offer. If you have only recently accepted your offer this will be sent to you in the near future

If you are experiencing log in issues, please contact one of the below teams who can assist with log in queries and account re-sets.


To find out your student email address, log into MyBeckett and click on the IT tab, here you will see the student email service and further guidelines.


For university guidance on Covid-19 please visit our dedicated Covid-19 webpage.


Many international students live in privately rented accommodation, partly due to the fact it can often be cheaper than university accommodation. You must remember that signed contracts are legally binding. You cannot change your mind after signing a contract on a house or a flat. You should also be careful when signing contracts to ensure that you understand what you’re signing – the Students Union can assist you with this and check private accommodation contracts for you before you sign.

For more information, contact the Accommodation Office on 0113 812 5972. Alternatively you can email them at or you can visit their website.

When budgeting for accommodation, it is important to be aware of all the charges landlords may ask for:

  • Deposit – most landlords require a deposit of one month’s rent. This should be returned at the end of your tenancy providing the property has not been damaged in any way. This is the joint responsibility of all tenants
  • Rent – this is normally paid on a termly or monthly basis and contracts are usually offered for 12 months. The first month’s rent is usually paid in advance along with the deposit. Prices vary widely depending on the area
  • Insurance – make sure to compare insurance quotes before signing a contract, and consider if you can get insurance that covers you for a variety of different things

One of the first questions you might have about moving to the UK is whether or not you require health insurance. The answer depends on a few factors – for full details please see our page on health and wellbeing for international students. 

In addition to health insurance, you should consider taking out insurance to cover your possessions and personal liability. It’s advisable to do this before your departure, but if you have difficulty doing this then it is possible to arrange insurance through schemes in the UK.

Most insurance companies have special policies for students. Comprehensive insurance including medical expenses, personal liability, personal injury and reimbursement of fees in case of prolonged serious illness, is available to international students through Endsleigh. Compare policies and costs before you enter into an insurance contract.

You must be insured before you can drive a car in the UK. There are two types of insurance cover available in the UK: Comprehensive or Third Party, Fire and Theft. The compulsory Third Party insurance does not cover loss or damage to your own car caused by unknown or uninsured persons. Car insurance is very expensive for people under the age of 30.


A pre-paid monthly pass gives unlimited travel on buses and trains around West Yorkshire. Find out more about available travel passes from the WY Metro website.


Leeds has an excellent public transport network. Many students use buses as a cheap and easy way to get around. You are advised not to bring your car unless it is really necessary as owning and running a car in the UK can be expensive. If you do choose to use a car, legally it must be roadworthy, registered, insured and taxed. Parking for students is not available at City Campus except in expensive public car parks and parking is limited at university residences. Parking is also limited on Headingley Campus and you are advised not to bring your car.

Driving licences

If you wish to drive in the UK (either your own or a hired vehicle), you must have a valid driving licence. Licences which are issued outside the UK and international driving permits, are valid in the UK for 12 months. After 12 months it is necessary to obtain a UK licence by taking a driving test. If you do not take the test after 12 months, you may be prosecuted for driving without a valid licence and this would invalidate your insurance.

Nationals of the European Union who take up residence in another member state can continue to drive, using their own national licence, for as long as it remains valid, even after 12 months has elapsed.

Licences from the following countries can be exchanged for a full UK licence:

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malta, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

Application forms for UK driving licences and an explanatory leaflet can be obtained from all main Post Offices. Application forms for a driving test can be obtained from the Driving Standards Agency.

The Highway Code

Rules and regulations, as well as information about road safety, can be found in The Highway Code, which is available from bookshops. You may bring your own vehicle to the UK and keep it here for six months. If you wish to keep it for longer, you will have to request permission from HM Customs and Excise: Dorset House, Stamford Street, London SE1 9PS. Strict laws cover drinking alcohol and driving in the UK. The best policy is DO NOT drink and drive! Further information regarding drivers’ licences, vehicle licensing and road tax can be found on the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency’s website.

Further information


During Welcome Week, and as you start your course, you will probably find yourself talking to people and making friends without even thinking about it. Our Global Village is here to help you enjoy your time in Leeds as much as possible, and they run a host of events from speed-friending sessions and virtual cafes to movie nights and fancy-dress parties. There are lots of these events during our September and January Welcome Weeks, but they also run throughout the year. The team can be contacted via email at or you can like their Facebook page for more information.


Getting involved in Academic English and Study Skills classes can not only help you improve your academic English, but also adapt to life in Leeds. For more information, please email our Department of Languages at


Coming back to the UK for Graduation? Need visa and immigration advice on planning your return? Contact Student Immigration Advice and Compliance at

You can also keep up to date with the latest info, as well as book your tickets and gown, on our graduation website.

Student view

All student blogs

Looking for something else?

There's lots of helpful advice and guidance on our student information pages. Try searching if you know what you're looking for or if you're not sure where to go, you can browse our A-Z.