Can you give us a summary of what you've been up to since graduating?

Where has the time gone is the first thing that comes to mind when reading that question! Thinking back, a lot has happened. I got support from the Launchpad programme not long after I finished uni. Then my friend Jake (French Terry) made a remix of one of my tracks, Untitled 01, which was played by Sian Eleri on Radio 1s Chillest Show. That was the beginning of it all for me. I then released a couple of tracks with Analog Horizons. One of those tracks was called View, and was played on Jaguar’s Radio 1 Introducing Dance Show. From that, somebody from the A&R at Anjunadeep got in touch and I have since released two EPs so far with them on their downtempo/ambient label, Reflections.

I was lucky enough to have my first festival debut at Radio 1s Big Weekend earlier in the year, followed by performing at Above and Beyond’s Group Therapy Weekender in London. I most recently went to Amsterdam to DJ at Paradiso and play two Ambient shows all part of Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE).

It’s weird writing all of this down because it’s not often I reflect on everything that’s happened. Feeling very lucky and chuffed right now! 

How do you think your studies at Leeds School of Arts have helped you in your music career?

I think I really found who I am musically and what I wanted to pursue as a career in my third and final year. You have to really get stuck in to figure out what part of the industry you prefer. There are so many options and interesting subjects that you can specialise in on the Music Production course. I was really involved with my course and it massively helped with my longer-term aspirations and decisions about what I wanted to take further.

You have to be a starter and finisher at uni, in terms of assignments and coursework. That’s the absolute best skill to have when you’re a producer/musician, because you need to be able to finish projects.

I got invaluable support from all of my lecturers and learnt so much from them. My tutor in my final year at uni was Sam Nicholls (known on the music scene as Whiskas) and he really understood my music from the beginning. I later released on his label, Analog Horizons, and still work with him very closely now. The relationships you build at uni are so important.

What do you enjoy most about what you do?

Firstly, I’d say the creation process. Especially the moments where I’ve made something I think: “wow, that is beautiful” or “how did I even make that?”. Those moments are incomparable and so pure. Of course, that does not mean that it’s not a testing process, I do have to find ways to work with self-doubt that creeps in sometimes. But it’s trusting that these magic moments are only really around the corner that helps with that.

Secondly, sharing my music in a live setting is such a mad buzz! I’ve only very recently started playing with a live set-up: the first performances being in Amsterdam last month. But it’s so special sharing what you’ve spent so long making with other people and being able to connect with an audience. I’m supporting Gold Panda at the start of next month which is just the biggest pinch me moment! Absolutely buzzing (as well as being very nervous) for that. I cannot wait.

How do you feel about winning the Music Producer Award?

It is so cool! I really didn’t expect to win, so it was an amazing surprise. I feel very proud to be able to represent female producers, that’s special to me, so to be recognized in that way is amazing. I am a bit of a workaholic and am constantly grafting away behind the scenes to get to where I want to be. Moments like these make you stop and reflect, and I feel really chuffed that the hard work is paying off. 

Jessie’s success at the Youth Music Awards further strengthens Leeds School of Arts’ contribution to the arts and culture scene in Leeds. Leeds Beckett University is a Principal Education Partner of Leeds 2023, embarking on a year-long celebration of culture that will continue to showcase the amazing work of its student, academic, and graduate communities in Leeds and the wider region.

To learn more about Leeds Beckett University’s involvement in the Leeds 2023 Year of Culture, please visit our partner website.