Discovering the world of acoustics at Leeds Beckett

Student spotlight | Alejandro Zuloaga

Alejandro Zuloaga playing guitar wearing headphones in a recording studio

Alejandro Zuloaga is a current student, studying MSc Audio and Acoustics. Originally from Colombia, here he shares his story of studying at Leeds Beckett and what its like to be an international student at the Leeds School of Arts.

Introduce yourself – tell us who you are and what you do.

My name is Alejandro Zuloaga. I'm an international student from Bogotá, Colombia, currently studying MSc Audio and Acoustics at Leeds Beckett University. I have a background and undergraduate degree in audio engineering and music production.

I became interested in learning more about acoustics while designing a home recording studio back home in Colombia, and, after researching about the possibilities within the industry of acoustics, I decided to pursue this degree to explore and immerse myself in a new industry which is growing exponentially and has a lot of job opportunities worldwide.

What course are you studying at Leeds Beckett and what has been your favourite part so far?

I am studying MSc Audio and Acoustics.

On the course, we go over theoretical concepts of how sound behaves in different spaces and environments. It has allowed me to understand the way in which a space interacts with the physical properties of sound and how we perceive those interactions.

My favourite part of the course has been putting the theory into practice by doing hands-on activities and projects by using industry standard equipment and facilities such as the anechoic chamber and the reverberation chamber.

A reverb chamber with a mannequin with headphones on and a large speaker

The reverberation chamber at Leeds School of Arts

What opportunities have you had as part of your course?

We are exposed to the way in which the industry applies international standards for measuring and evaluating audio equipment as well as acoustic properties of materials and spaces.

There are a wide range of opportunities we can apply the skills we develop, such as designing recording studios, measuring the performance of noise-cancelling headphones, or assessing the environmental impact of roads and railways.

I have also been able to develop new skills with industry standard software such as MATLAB, Room EQ Wizard, and AutoCAD which will be beneficial for my professional development.

Digital CAD plans for a recording studio layout

An example of a digital design of a recording studio

What does the future hold for you?

Studying this course has been a very enriching experience personally and professionally. It has opened my eyes to a part of the industry which was previously unknown to me.

Currently, I'd like to get professional experience working in the UK, so I am applying to job opportunities in a variety of acoustic consultant companies. I think it’s an industry with a lot of potential for professional growth and development.

What advice would you give to someone considering studying your course at Leeds Beckett?

I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in acoustics and wishes to expand their understanding of the nature of sound.

My advice for future students is to make the most of the facilities available. This way, when you go out into the professional scene, you already have experience in the way the industry operates and are familiar with the equipment.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself.