“I did a four-week internship with Mindless Academy between March and April,” Maisie explains. “During that time, I wrote articles on climate change, mental health, and sexuality, as well as an article about anxiety for the charity No Panic.”

Caroline found that the programme, which offers digital work experience and briefs across a variety of topics, was an excellent opportunity for current students to gain some clarity on what they want to do after graduation: “As a mature student, I have nearly 10 years of work experience behind me in a completely different industry.

“The idea of attending University was supposed to be an opportunity for me to change careers, but apart from being a teacher, I didn’t know where else I could go after my degree.

“My internship with Mindless not only enabled me to build my portfolio as a content creator but also taught me a lot about how to build a reader base and draw people to read what you write.

“After leaving Mindless Academy I was even inspired to create my own blog to build my online presence even more.”

Both students heard about the opportunity from an email sent by Creative Writing Course Director, Dr Alison Taft.

“The email explained that Mindless Academy were offering a digital micro-internship programme, 100% online, which meant I could fit it around my job and studies,” Maisie commented.

Caroline said, “I applied on a whim as I wanted to build as much experience as I could in different areas that were related to my degree.”

When asked about what aspects of the experience they enjoyed most, Maisie answered: “I liked how the internship was online with flexible hours, but my favourite part was being able to write about things I’m passionate about, and then be provided with feedback to help improve my writing.”

Caroline really enjoyed the creative freedom that the internship encouraged: “You get a brief each week on a basic topic like climate change, and you have the freedom to choose which direction you want to go with that topic.

“I have always loved researching things, even with my assignments and this internship enabled me to flex my research skills and combine them with my creativity. The more creative the better.”

Mindless Academy aims to upskill interns taking part in the programme with a variety of practical transferrable skills, in which both Maisie and Caroline feel they have both gained invaluable insight.

“I’ve gained skills such as self-awareness, resilience, confidence, and emotional intelligence, and gained knowledge about content creation and editing,” said Maisie.

“I learnt about digital storytelling and the importance of knowing your audience, having a structure and purpose, and using content warnings. I will be able to use digital storytelling in the future if I decide to work in marketing, journalism, or content creation.

“I also learnt about SEO (search engine optimisation). This involves keyword research, using branded or generic keywords, writing meta descriptions and attaching links. I can use the SEO skills I’ve learnt in the future on social media or when writing blogs.”

Caroline agrees that SEO knowledge is one of the most important takeaways for her: “The insight into SEO, how to generate both an online presence and also how to build a reader base are all things I’ll definitely use in the future.”

When asked what advice they would give someone offered a similar opportunity, Caroline continued: “Do it. Even if it doesn’t correlate with your plans for after graduation. As a wise woman once told me ‘Don’t put all your eggs in one basket’.”

Maisie’s advice offered a similar sentiment: “Firstly, go for it. I think you should grab every opportunity you’re presented with. Secondly, take your time. Make sure you can fit it in around your work and studies, take notes, and pay attention to your feedback.”

Find out more about Mindless Academy by visiting their website.