The future's looking bright

Alumni spotlight | Harry Gee

Photo of Harry Gee, a Sociology and Criminology alumni

Harry studied BA (Hons) Sociology and Criminology at Leeds Beckett University, graduating in July 2023. Since finishing his degree, he’s taken part in the Leeds Beckett Graduate Progression Programme, undertaken an internship with the Civil Service and is now working at Barnsley Council on their graduate scheme. Harry shares his experience studying at Leeds Beckett and how it gave him some fantastic initial experience.

Course studied: BA (Hons) Sociology and Criminology

Tell us a bit about yourself and what you've been doing since you graduated?

My name's Harry and I'm originally Rochdale in Greater Manchester. I studied Sociology and Criminology at Leeds Beckett and really liked the subject.

Since finishing the course, I’ve taken part in Leeds Beckett’s Graduate Progression Programme, working with Leeds Beckett’s External Communications Team to set up focus groups to ask questions to diverse and other members of the university about belonging, and whether they felt that the university communicates with them effectively and efficiently.

I'm starting the Civil Service summer internship programme soon too, which lasts for about a month and a half.

What would you say have been the highlights and challenges of the work experience that you've been doing so far?

The biggest challenge has been the work at the university wasn't in the sector I’m interested in. But I understood the opportunity improved my communication skills. Whatever sector or department you're in, communication is important.

It’s been good working on an outreach project as it’s what I want to do in local government, getting the communities involved.

At first I thought communicating and engaging the university community was a challenge, but found I easily overcame this, as I became more confident in engaging them to take part and talking to focus groups and getting them to discuss to get the information we needed.

I'd say the highlight was that we did reach quite a diverse group, and I believe that diversity is essential so that you can get a true representation of the university community. I feel like we got some really important feedback from international students about things that the university aren't doing or that they can improve on.

How did you hear about and get involved in the Graduate Progression Programme at Leeds Beckett?

The first time I found out about it was in one of my sociology seminars. The Leeds Beckett career consultants, Georgina and Erica, came in towards the end and told everyone about it. There was information about it in the student emails we get too.

I just knew that I could apply for it straight away, so I did. I think you had more of a chance of getting onto the scheme if you are from a lower economic background, widening participation background etc. So, I just thought I'd apply to get some work experience.

Were there any opportunities that you had while you were studying that have influenced where you want to go?

Yeah. Sociology is all about society and understanding society, understanding the inequalities in society. I studied sociology in college as well, so I kind of knew what it was about.

I chose the joint course with criminology because I was thinking you can make a difference with crime, like stopping crime and ways to prevent crime and stuff like that. I definitely feel like my course has made me understand inequalities in society a lot more, like why people commit crime and why people are in poverty and the troubles that they face.

So, when I start working in local government, I feel like I've got a greater understanding of the workings of society and seeing past poverty and what's behind poverty and how we change that. I definitely feel like my course has helped me in that sense.

What initially drew you to study at Leeds Beckett?

When I was at college, I received an unconditional offer from Leeds Beckett and I just decided to take it. Then COVID happened and everyone got their predicted grades, so I didn't actually do my exams.

I really liked Leeds as a city and a lot of my friends were going as well. It wasn't too far from home, but also not right on the doorstep. I didn't want to go to Manchester because I was already within Manchester.

So far, Leeds has been a nice new challenge. I also liked the sports facilities because I'm big into my rugby.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about studying your course?

I'd say work as hard as you can. I had a mindset of: “this is the last thing you do until you go into employment so there's no point getting this far and just giving it half your effort”. Make the most of it and put your all into your work and then at the end you can say that you tried hard enough no matter what grade you get.

Also, just enjoy it. University is an enjoyable experience. Make new friends, meet new people from all over. So yeah, make sure you enjoy it, but have that balance as well.

Any final comments about your experience studying at Leeds Beckett, the services and opportunities available to students, or the staff?

There are two people that have really helped me in my time studying at Leeds Beckett. My dissertation supervisor, Joseph, couldn't have done more for me. He was always giving me very constructive feedback, advising me what to do next, checking my drafts and getting back to me pretty quickly.

He definitely went above and beyond for me, and I couldn't really ask more of him. He was a good teacher as well, and he's from the same area as me – Rochdale - so we got on quite well.

My careers consultant Erica helped me loads. She actually pointed me in the right direction of the Graduate Progression Programme that I was successful in – I didn't even know it existed until I went to speak to her.

I went in to see her in December and said, “listen, I don't really know what I want to do. Could you point me in a few directions of where to look?” and she pointed me in the direction of the Civil Service.

After that, if I ever had an interview or assessment centre, I’d speak to her before, and she'd give me advice on it and help me come up with ideas of what to say; so she definitely supported me a lot.

Where do you see yourself going from here?

I'm going to be working at Barnsley Council on a two-year graduate programme where you get to do three different placements – you get to choose which placements you do, whatever you’re interested in at the Council.

I'm going to try and get quite a wide range of experience and see which one I like the most. I just want to get some experience now and get started and just see where it takes me.

The future's looking bright.