If you’re starting to think about applying for university, you may be wondering where to start and how to prepare. In this blog I’ll be sharing my top tips from my experience of when I was in the same position as you.

I found applying to university really exciting, as I was starting to think about that next chapter in my life. However, there were also a lot of things I needed to think about.

Be organised and make a note of important deadlines

First things first, deadlines. These are crucial and you don’t want to miss them. So I suggest getting organised and making a note of all important deadlines now. You can also set reminders on your phone so you don’t forget.

The main deadline you need to consider is the UCAS application deadline. The UCAS deadline for applying is 31 January 2024, for 2024 entry, at 6pm. This is the deadline for the majority of courses, however, there is an earlier deadline date for other selected courses and this information can be found on the UCAS website. In addition, if you are applying for a course that has a January or July intake, these start dates may affect deadlines. It’s essential to check the application details when you search for a course on UCAS as applications submitted after the deadline may not be considered. 

At my college, our careers advisors and teachers helped us by proofreading our personal statements and they set us a deadline for submitting these to them. Check if your school or college does this and jot down the deadline they’ve set, as this date will be before the official UCAS deadline in January. 

Research the universities and the course you are interested in

So you’ve made yourself aware of the deadlines and now you’re at the research stage, trying to work out which university and course you want to apply for. I’d suggest starting by making a list of factors that are important to you, such as a university’s location, the facilities, and if you’re uncertain of which course, think about what you enjoy about the subjects you currently study.

When I first started applying for university, I began by looking online and making a list of the universities that stood out to me. One of the main things I was looking out for was the location of the university and what the surrounding area was like. As ultimately this was a place that I’d be moving to for several years, so I really wanted to feel at home.

While I saw lots of universities that I felt looked great, what attracted me to Leeds Beckett was the course and its facilities. 

I study Interior Architecture & Design in the Broadcasting Place building, which houses studio spaces and multimedia workshop areas. This, combined with the course content and tutors who have professional experience in the industry, is what convinced me to apply to LBU.

Whether you’re still choosing which course you want to apply for, or you know exactly what you’d like to study, I’d suggest chatting with your school or college careers advisor. As they can help you understand more about individual courses and the career opportunities connected to them. They can also support you with researching and will be full of brilliant advice. As well as getting help from your school or college, Leeds Beckett have put together a handy hub of useful information and advice to support you with your application. 

Attend an Open Day

The best way to get a feel for a university is by coming to visit. At an Open Day, you have the opportunity to explore the campus, view the facilities, attend course talks, and have a look at the accommodation options. They're really helpful for showing you exactly what life is like living and studying at a particular university. This autumn, Leeds Beckett are hosting several Open Days. If you're considering studying here then I'd definitely suggest coming along to one and seeing what life is like at LBU. 

Check the course entry requirements

Every university sets entry requirements for each of their courses. You can apply for whatever university and course you want, but if your predicted grades don’t match what the university is looking for then they are more likely to reject your application.  You can find the entry requirements listed on each course page on UCAS. You’ll also see these on a university’s own website. Here at Leeds Beckett they use UCAS points in their entry requirements. The entry requirements for my course were 80 UCAS tariff points, and I was predicted BBB, which works out as 120 points. This gave me the confidence when I was applying, as I knew I stood a good chance of being offered a place. If you need help working out how many points your predicted grades are worth, you can always use Leeds Beckett’s handy UCAS points calculator.

Gain as much experience as you can

In my opinion, there are many benefits to gaining work experience before you apply to university. For me, gaining some work experience helped me decide what course and career I wanted to pursue. I did a week-long placement at a sculpture studio and while this did not have a direct link to the course I applied for, working in the studio space and being in that environment confirmed to me that the architectural route was right for me. Another reason why I think gaining experience is important is because you can demonstrate your passion and commitment for a course in your personal statement. A university will be very interested to see what experience you have and how it shaped you. Even if your work experience is unrelated to your course, you will still have learnt something.

Applying for university is an exciting step but I know there’s so much to consider, I hope reading this blog has helped give you a better understanding of how best to prepare. Overall, I’d say the main thing is to consider your options carefully and always talk to your school, family or friends if you’re feeling in need of some extra support. Good Luck!

Thinking about applying to Leeds Beckett?

Find out what life as a Leeds Beckett student is like by talking to one of our current students via our online chat portal. 

TALK TO A STUDENT