Life in Leeds as an International student

Student Spotlight | Shane Graham

Shane Graham PGCE Physical Education

PGCE Secondary Education with QTS student, Shane Graham shares his experience of studying his course at Leeds Beckett and as an international student.

Course: PGCE Secondary Education with QTS (Physical Education pathway)

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to your course.

I’m 26 years old and I’m from Donegal in the Republic of Ireland. I previously completed a four-year degree studying Sports Performance and Physical Education at Letterkenny Institute of Technology.

This course was a steppingstone into teaching and was extremely enjoyable. A PGCE was always the next step in accomplishing my dream to become a physical education teacher.

What made you choose to study your course at Leeds Beckett?

I chose to study at Leeds Beckett as it has incredible facilities and a great reputation for its PGCE courses.

I asked a lot of people at home for advice on whether to choose Leeds or not, but an overwhelming majority mentioned how good of a university Leeds Beckett is and how welcoming everyone is.

Have you been involved in any placements?

I successfully completed my SEND (special educational needs and disabilities) placement at home in Ireland. This was a hugely beneficial experience as I got to witness first-hand what is required when teaching SEND students and different teaching techniques used to get the best out of your students.

Although my course is in the preliminary stages, I gained a lot of helpful tips and pointers from my lecturers in dealing with behavioural issue and teaching strategies.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

My favourite thing about studying at Leeds Beckett so far has been making new friends. It’s difficult coming from a different country and not knowing anyone before you start the course, but everyone has been so welcoming and friendly.

I also love how accessible everything is in Leeds and the transportation around Leeds is excellent when it comes to getting from A to B.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

My own personal advice would be to go for it, this course is brilliant! And if teaching is your goal in life, there truly is no place I would rather study.

The facilities, the course modules, the accessibility of Leeds Beckett truly make it stand out from others. I’d advise getting stuck into everything you can while you are here, it’s a very quick year and will be over before you know it; so just enjoy every minute of it.

What is the teaching like on your course?

The teaching on the course is exceptionally good. It can sometimes be a lot to take in over a brief period, but it’s only a one-year course so you have to make sure you keep on top of things.

The delivery of each class cannot be faulted. My favourite module so far has been Personal Values Practice where I have learnt a lot about teaching and how to get the best out of your students.

What are your plans after you graduate?

Once I graduate, I will look to find a job either at home in Ireland or here in Leeds. I cannot wait to get stuck into teaching and have a sense of stability in my working life.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself.