"My course helped me become a better speech and language therapist"

Alumni spotlight | Maryam Rahman

Photo of Maryam Rahman, MA Childhood and Early Years alumna

Maryam Rahman is an international alumna from Pakistan, who studied MA Childhood Studies and Early Years. Here, Maryam talks about why she decided to study her course at Leeds Beckett, how the course helps her in her career as a Speech and Language Therapist, and why distance learning was a great experience.

Course: MA Childhood Studies and Early Years

Can you tell us a bit about yourself and what you’ve been doing since you graduated?

I studied MA Childhood Studies and Early Years at Leeds Beckett.

Thanks to my degree, I have become more interested in the field of research than I was before. So much so, that it has made me consider the options of enrolling into another program that focuses more towards research within my area of work.

I have also been working as a Senior Speech and Language Therapist in an NGO that provides services to children and individuals with Down Syndrome.

Can you tell us about your current role and what an average day is like for you?

My current role is Senior Speech and Language Therapist at the Karachi Down Syndrome Program, an NGO located in Karachi, Pakistan.

I work with children between the ages of 1 to 7, providing speech and language therapy services. I also counsel and train parents and caregivers on how to work with their children at home. Additionally, I also supervise my fellow clinicians.

A day at work involves conducting one-on-one therapy sessions with my students, having sessions with their parents on educating and training them, generally helping to raise awareness of Down Syndrome to the larger population.

Were there any modules that you studied which have specifically impacted you and helped you get to where you are?

I loved the modules I had about Autism and Playful Learning. Those two modules gave me material I think about even now in my practice.

What have been the highlights and the challenges of your career so far?

I love working with children who have complex communication needs, as a speech therapist. I love working with parents and training them.

Where I come from, I have the opportunity to work with families from lower socioeconomic backgrounds who do not have a lot of opportunities open up for them.

Because of my course, I learned a lot of about playful learning and how to work with children via play therapy.

The challenge I face at times is raising awareness amongst parents and caregivers and the larger population regarding Down Syndrome and communication needs of children as well as the importance of playful and child-led learning.

How has studying your course at Leeds Beckett University enhanced your career prospects/ influenced your career?

It has helped me become a better speech and language therapist. The course has made me want to be a better researcher in my field and it has also made me want to pursue further degrees.

Was your course well connected to industry? If so, how?

My course, MA Childhood Studies and Early Years, was connected to my profession as a paediatric speech and language therapist in the sense that I work within the realm of early intervention and the development of communication in children. The understanding of that development process helps to be a better therapist.

What drew you to study at Leeds Beckett initially? Why did you want to study this course?

Initially I had wanted to pursue a Masters in Speech and Language Therapy but things changed and I began exploring other courses that, while they may not be directly connected, would still compliment my current work as a paediatric speech therapist working in early intervention.

Leeds Beckett University was one of the first universities that came up while I was exploring various universities in the UK. The variation and diversity of the course material drew me to enrolling.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about studying this course?

Definitely go for it. It has a lot of interesting and new material that will open up avenues for you that you may not have known of before.

What does the future hold for you? Where would you like to progress?

I would love to pursue another Masters either in the field of Speech and Language Therapy or research. I would also love the opportunity to pursue a PhD.

Any other comments?

My course was a distance-learning program, but despite that I had a wonderful time.

Every professor was extremely helpful and kind. I miss the time I had spent in writing my dissertation – the research process turned out to be quite a learning experience.

Whatever questions I had were always immediately answered by either professors, the alumni, or the student centre. My graduation day will always be a memorable day for me.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself.