"I could not have chosen a better course for myself"

Alumni spotlight | Laura Rodriguez Suarez

Laura Rodriguez Suarez at her graduation ceremony

Laura is an international alumni who studied BA (Hons) Teaching and Education at Leeds Beckett, graduating in 2023. Here she shares what it was like to move from Spain to Leeds, what she most enjoyed about her course and what she's doing now.

Course: BA (Hons) Teaching and Education which has now become BA (Hons) Education Studies

Can you tell us a bit about yourself and what you've been doing since you graduated?

Since I graduated I have been working as a High Level Teaching Assistant in a special education school.

The focus of the school is autism and profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD).

I have also recently started an online masters in Law (LLM) conversion course at Leeds Beckett which I am studying part-time.

Can you tell us about your current role?

In my current role, I assist qualified teachers in the teaching and planning of lessons.

I cover teachers when they are absent and plan the delivery of the teaching for those days.

My role also includes safeguarding vulnerable pupils. I get to work with a wide range of students and I believe it enriches your understanding of different disabilities and ways of teaching.

What made you choose to study at Leeds Beckett?

Leeds Beckett seemed the right fit for me from the beginning. I'm so pleased I chose to study at Leeds Beckett and I wouldn't change my decision for anything in the world.

The environment is unmatched, the people are warm and welcoming and there is always something going on - you won't get bored.

It's really easy to build a community at Leeds Beckett and to feel at home.

How did Leeds Beckett welcome / support you as an international student?

Having English as my second language was something that worried me when taking on the challenge of higher education. It was key to voice my concerns to my lecturers and tutors to overcome my fears.

Despite having Spanish as my first language and English as my second, I managed to achieve a first class honours degree and received the Dean's Prize for outstanding contribution to Teaching and Education, which is something I am (to this day) extremely proud of.

Tell us about your experience studying your course.

During my three-year course, I completed a placement each year. My placement was in the school I currently work at. It was nice to feel valued enough to get a paid job after my placement.

I loved all of my modules as they gave me the flexibility to do research in the areas I was most interested in. I particularly enjoyed the Children, Crime and Social Justice optional module, where I researched preventative ways to reduce and stop crime in children who live in care homes.

I also enjoyed the Comparative Studies in Education module as it allowed me to do a comparative study in the History subject in Spain and England.

Lastly, the teaching and the context of multi-disciplinary working was key in my development as a student as well as a professional. It granted me the opportunity to merge my professional practice with my studies and further expand my understanding of the area.

All of my lecturers were inspiring, understanding and incredibly engaging. Every topic and every module was perfectly crafted.

If I had to go to university again, I would not change a single thing. I could not have chosen a better course for myself.

What are your favourite memories about your experience studying at Leeds Beckett?

Truly the environment on campus. Spending time with friends in the canteen, the Students' Union and even the library. I always felt safe.

Social life in Leeds as a student is amazing and I will forever cherish those memories.

What support and opportunities were you given during your time at Leeds Beckett?

My lecturers and tutors always made sure the content was relevant and engaging.

Once a week, we were given the opportunity to attend lectures with special guests. These consisted of one-hour lectures where an external professional would come in to talk to us about their profession, their workplace and practice.

It was the best opportunity to hear from a diverse range of voices and backgrounds as well as to consider the many career opportunities the degree offered.

It was especially great for networking, as the guests were always more than happy to be contacted or to answer any questions.

What advice would you give other international students thinking about studying at Leeds Beckett?

My advice would be to stay open to anything, don't be afraid to speak up and make friends.

I know having English as your second language can create a bit of a barrier and can diminish your confidence, but I guarantee you, there will always be someone who wants to hear about you.

Really embrace the city of Leeds and all it has to offer. We are so lucky to live in one of the best cities there are for students - so go out and experience as many things as you can.

It doesn't all have to be about partying if that's not your thing. There are so many other things this city can give you.

You'll soon find a community and you will call this city home. Trust the process.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself.