The journal of an Irish student

Student Spotlight | Stephen Mc Gee

Photo of Stephen Mc Gee

PGCE Secondary Education with QTS student, Stephen Mc Gee shares his experience of studying his course at Leeds Beckett and as an international student.

Course: PGCE Secondary Education with QTS (Physical Education pathway)

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to your course?

I’m 21 years old and from Ireland. I love sports and have a passion to teach physical education. Prior to coming to over from Ireland in September, I had already done a four-year undergraduate degree in Ireland.

What made you choose to study your course at Leeds Beckett?

Ireland doesn’t have many options for a PGCE degree, so I decided I would study in the UK for a year. First, I had to do research about the universities offering the course I wanted to study.

I received two other conditional offers, but I chose Leeds Beckett because it is one of the largest providers of sports courses in the UK. When I looked online at the School website, the facilities looked very good and the city of Leeds looked lovely.

Have you been involved in any placements?

As part of my PGCE I get the opportunity to do two main placements. Just last week I completed a SEND (special educational needs and disabilities) placement where I worked with students with SEND in a local primary school.

This involved me observing the teaching styles and behaviour management strategies and helping the students with SEND in the classroom. I thoroughly enjoyed it that much that I could see myself changing career in the future.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

It’s hard to say. I have now been here for five and a half weeks and there have been a lot of things I could consider my favourite thing: the induction week was good, the course curriculum itself, my SEND placement, the Carnegie School of Education, and my fellow classmates. And I have no doubt I will enjoy my next two placements.

What support and opportunities have you been given during your time at Leeds Beckett and for life after university?

There is great support for academic writing in the library where the library team can help with writing, structure, referencing. Leeds Beckett also provide a bus from my accommodation to the university.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

I’d advise someone thinking about studying at this course to do it. It’s a very welcoming course and the induction week is brilliant.

Within a week I knew my way around the campus and everyone on my course. All of the lecturers are fantastic and have a plethora of experience and knowledge.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

What facilities do you use on your course?

How do they support your studies? Because I am studying a sport-related course, I get access to the Carnegie School of Sport facilities, which I are worth around £45 million. It is state of the art with brilliant lecture halls.

I also have access to the swimming pool, gymnasium, sports halls, football pitches and dance studio. These all help with my studies as the facilities are there when we cover a related topic, rather than being in the same sports all everyday.

What is the teaching like on your course?

The teaching on the course is great, I can’t stress that enough. All of the lecturers have a plethora of knowledge and first-hand experience in the topics they teach.

Teaching staff are all very friendly and very willing to help or answer any questions you might have. They are also very accommodating: if you have a question but don’t feel comfortable asking it in front of a class, they’ll wait behind after the class is finished to give you the opportunity to ask your questions.

My favourite module is Secondary Subject Studies because I get the opportunity to learn how to play and teach numerous sports, including: netball, badminton, football, rugby, swimming, kinball, handball, non-traditional sports and many more. The module is very practical based.

What are your plans after you graduate?

I plan to teach full time. Some former students have been offered jobs at their final placement, so if this were to happen me, I would stay in England to gain more experience and take it from there. However, I’m also debating going back to Ireland to get a job there.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses to see for yourself.