Colleague spotlight Hannah McCarthy

Colleague spotlight | Hannah McCarthy

Photo of Hannah McCarthy

Hannah McCarthy is the Course Director for BA (Hons) Psychology in Education and BA (Hons) Primary Education (accelerated degree) courses. She also supervises research projects on MA Education. Hannah is passionate about social justice and equality in education.

Here, Hannah shares why applicants should consider studying Psychology in Education or Primary Education (accelerated), what ignited her passion for the subject area, and what the courses are like.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself and what led you to work at Leeds Beckett University?

I'm committed to educational values and social justice. After finishing college at 18, I took a break from education, having originally planned to study History. I worked with families and children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, alongside roles in retail.

This period in my life ignited an interest in Sociology and Psychology, so I begun my undergraduate degree at The University of Manchester (UoM) in Sociology. While at university, I campaigned on issues relating to social justice, inequality and exclusion, attaching theory to practice.

In my second year I began to volunteer with the Arts Emergency charity – supporting Social Science education in underprivileged areas of Manchester. This ignited a vocational spark within me which is difficult to articulate.

After my degree, I decided to study a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). I moved away from home in Manchester to the North East, deciding on the Young Adults Specialism – inspired by my own transformative experiences as an A-Level student.

During my PGCE I began my career working as a Lecturer in the Further Education (FE) sector which would see me teach across a range of colleges, geographic locations, qualifications and subjects.

Eventually, I progressed to a management role in FE, committed to providing an inclusive education to all, offering a second, third or fourth chance to individuals and communities.

While practising and managing a department of over 1000 students, I felt the need to explore tensions and issues I experienced in practice at a policy Level. This led to an MA at Manchester Metropolitan University, focusing on education policy and theory, completed while teaching full-time.

I wanted to explore this area on a deeper level, so I started my PhD at The University of Manchester in 2020. I was then offered a Senior Tutor position at UoM, which led me to Leeds Beckett University (LBU). I was, and continue to be, inspired by the social justice and ethos of the Carnegie School of Education.

What are your career highlights and what achievements are you most proud of?

I am immensely proud of my teaching career and the work I achieved as part of previous teams in supporting, safeguarding and empowering vulnerable children, young people and adults from lower socio-economic backgrounds, working to practice inclusively and to break down barriers within education.

This is and always will be the purpose of my work.

A huge focus of my work with staff and students is wellbeing-focused, aspiring to make a difference in relation to mental health and wellbeing.

What makes you passionate about your work and the courses you teach?

I am passionate about and committed to principles of equality, diversity and inclusion; ensuring that all students who I teach have access to a high-quality, transformative and supportive educational experience.

Equipping future educators with the ability to think critically about the education system, policy and practice will enable our students to lead transformational changes within their schools and communities in their futures.

Can you tell us a bit about what the courses cover?

BA (Hons) Psychology in Education course provides contemporary psychological perspectives on what it means to be a student within educational spaces.

As part of this course, you can:

• Investigate where education and psychology meet and focus on developing the skills required for working with children and young people, including in educational settings
  • Consider the key issues that affect children and young people today
  • Focus on how education can adapt to meet an individual’s needs to overcome barriers to their learning
  • Think about the future of education and how we can use psychology as a driver of change

BA (Hons) Primary Education (Accelerated) allows you to adopt a critically reflective and child-centred approach to teaching and working with children. You’ll earn a degree in two years and be primed to undertake a qualification to achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

As part of this course, you can:

• Combine independent research with collaborative workshops
  • Explore contemporary issues such as inclusion, child development and the political nature of education
  • Develop your confidence, apply your learning and sharpen your teaching expertise through professional experiences

Why do you think students should study these courses at Leeds Beckett?

The lecturers within the department of Interdisciplinary Studies in the Carnegie School of Education are simply transformational, working with cutting-edge teaching and resources.

The courses have smaller classes, so we relish the opportunity to really get to know our students, supporting them to progress into incredible employment or study outcomes.

All of our teaching teams are ex-practitioners, meaning that your careers advice is second to none. We also pride ourselves on our transformative inclusive practice, plus our large number of trips and guest lecturers from across educational and psychological services.