Council tax is a tax on households and contributes to local services run by the council, such as waste collection, police and fire services. If you are a full-time student you can be exempted from your household’s council tax assessment.
If you are a full-time student who lives in Leeds you can use the online form on the Leeds City Council website to register your exemption from Council Tax.
The University provides verification for all students directly to Leeds City Council in November and March each year. If you live outside Leeds you can use the GovUK website to find your local council.
To be considered as a full-time student, you must currently enrolled on a course which:
- involves at least 21 hours’ study per week
- lasts at least 24 weeks of an academic year
- weekly placement hours do not exceed hours of study
If you live in a household where everyone is a full-time student, your household will be exempt, however if you live with residents who are not full-time students, they will still have to pay but may be eligible for a discount.
If you need to have an exemption certificate they are available from the day your enrolment is completed. Make sure you have enrolled online and dealt with any ID, T4 visa, or DBS checks or other conditions of your enrolment.
How to download a Council Tax Exemption Certificate
The certificates are available from the Welcome enrolment system:
- Go to the Welcome site - select the term that you enrolled for using the buttons.
- Log in, and on the central pane of the homepage, click the link labelled 'Council tax discount'.
- On the next page you will be able to download a pdf version of the council tax exemption certificate
If you are having problems printing your certificate via the Welcome enrolment system, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have received a letter from your council, please contact them via phone or through their website.
- It is important that you do not ignore a council tax demand as you may incur legal costs even if you are exempt.
- If you are having problems with your council tax, for example; an existing council tax debt, you can contact our Money Advice team.
- If you’re concerned about a demand you've received you could also contact the Students’ Union Advice Service.
Information for parents
The University cannot issue the exemption certificates directly to you. If you need a copy to claim a discount on your own council tax, you will need to request a copy from the student themselves.