Facebook tracking pixel [Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video


Mitigation and Extenuating Circumstances

The University recognises that, from time to time, students may encounter issues which may prevent them from being able to submit or take assessment. Where this is the case, students may be able to submit their 'extenuating circumstances' for consideration.

The University operates a fit to sit / fit to submit approach to extenuating circumstances which means students who take their assessment are declaring themselves fit to do so. Students who, for valid reasons, are not fit to take assessment may submit their extenuating circumstances for consideration by their School Mitigation Panel. This will ensure that the Module Board is fully aware of your circumstances when finalising your marks for the modules affected.

Examples of extenuating circumstances include illness, bereavement, serious family illness or being a victim of crime. You will need evidence to prove your situation; the Students’ Union Advice Service can offer guidance on what evidence you will need to present. There are also examples in the guidance document below. You can pick up a form from your Student Administration Office, or download one from the documents below.

You are strongly advised to speak to an advisor at the Students’ Union Advice Service to help you complete your form, but please do not submit your application to the Advice Service, as they will not be able to process it for you. You should hand your completed form in to your Student Administration Office for the attention of the School Mitigation Co-ordinator.

The guidance documents also include information about applying for an extension or an authorised absence.

All requests for consideration of extenuating circumstances are treated confidentially and are only shared with staff who need to consider them in fulfilling University procedures (The University Academic Principles and Regulations provide further information about this.)

Submission of completed request forms:

  • All completed forms should be handed in to your Student Administration Office. Please see your Course Handbook for further information on who to send completed forms to.
  • For advice on preparing your request for mitigation: Students' Union Advice Service. Please do not send completed forms to the advice service, this is for advice only.

This page was last modified: 27/01/2020

Tell us what you think

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button