Summer Assistance Fund
What evidence will I need to provide?
Where relevant, you will need to provide:
- A confirmation letter/email from your school of how many credits you are re-sitting/repeating over the summer period.
- Bank statements for the previous month for all of your bank accounts, including savings accounts (and your partner’s accounts if applicable).
- Documentation confirming your benefits or evidence to show you have applied for these.
- Details and evidence of any other income received over the summer.
- An up-to-date letter from your GP/Consultant to confirm any illness that prevents you from working over the summer period.
- Documentation from your GP/Disability Services/Support Worker (as applicable) to confirm your disability and to confirm you are unable to work over the summer.
- A letter from your social worker to confirm that as a care leaver you do not have any other means of financial support over the summer.
- Any other supplementary evidence that you feel supports your application.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
We will consider an application from you if you are a non-final year student and satisfy one the following:
- You have children.
- You are re-taking/re-sitting elements of your course either in or out of attendance across the summer.
- You are ill or have a disability and are therefore unable to work, and for whom other benefits are not available.
- You are a Care Leaver, a carer or you are estranged from your parents.
- You are medically unable to work due to Covid-19 (e.g. in shielding category)
If you are a final year student, you can apply if you are resitting exams over the summer period.
- Students meeting the above eligibility criteria should click on this link to access the online application form.
- Once you have submitted your online application along with your supporting documentation we will assess your application. We aim to send confirmation of the outcome to your university email address within 10 working days, however during to Covid-19 this may take slightly longer.
- We will accept applications from Monday 22nd June up to Friday 31st July.
- You can also apply in August. However this may involve a shorter assessment period.
Treatment of Income
- Where your statutory student funding has already been taken into account in a previous assessment, we will not consider this again. We will take into account all other income.
- If you are eligible for welfare benefits during the summer, we will include the relevant benefit figure in your assessment even if you are not yet in receipt of this.
What assistance will be offered?
- Help with your day-to-day living costs such as food, travel and help with housing costs.
- If you have an outstanding short-term loan from any previous academic year, we will ask you to discuss this with us. We may reduce any award if this is the case.
- We can only make awards if there are sufficient funds remaining.
- Please be aware that any award made is merely a contribution towards the above expenses. It cannot cover all of a student's assumed shortfall.