Professor Colin Pattinson is the leader of a consultancy and research group at Leeds Beckett University which is addressing the relationship between IT systems and the environment. There are two main strands to this area of work:
- Understanding (and improving) the efficient operation of the systems themselves
- Application of IT to the control and management of other processes, with the aim of improving the efficiency of those processes.
We give consultancy, in the following specialist areas:
- Analysis of existing operations
- Strategy and development of action plans
- Software modelling & simulation tools to advise on the sustainability of alternative IT systems
Professor Pattinson has been a committee member of the "Green IT Specialist Group" of BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, since that group was formed in 2010, and has contributed to workshops and document reviews in that capacity. He is also involved with sustainable IT teaching and research project work in three current Europe-wide projects.
Recent clients include:
- Cisco Systems Ltd:
A review of the effectiveness of their EnergyWise energy management solution.
- JISC (formerly the Joint Information Systems Committee):
(1) A comparative study of thin and thick client technologies;
(2) a measurement of the effect of various changes in data centre configuration;
(3) the development of an intelligent interface between room booking and building management control systems.
The design and implementation of a low-cost, low-energy network hub.
- Leeds Beckett University:
The team co-authored our own University's Green IT strategy.
If you have a specific project you would like to discuss or, for general information about our consultancy services please contact the University Enterprise office on 0113 81 21904.