Dr Daniel Kilvington
About Dr Daniel Kilvington
Dr Dan Kilvington is a Senior Lecturer / Course Director in Media, Communication, Cultures. His teaching and research specialism explores 'race', sport and new media.
Dan joined Leeds Beckett University in 2015. He has published four books, Race, Racism and Sports Journalism (2012); Sport, Racism and Social Media (2014); British Asians, Exclusion and the Football Industry (2016); and Sport and Discrimination, all with Routledge.
He is currently conducting empirical work with black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) football coaches, focussing on exclusionary barriers and assessing the impact of the Rooney Rule. He also continues to research the exclusion of British Asians within professional English football.
Dan is the co-founder of the annual Sport and Discrimination conference series; the founder of the inclusion initiative, Creating and Developing Coaches, an event which aims to encourage networking between BAME grassroots football coaches/managers and key stakeholders within the locale; and the trustee of the Zesh Rehman Foundation (ZRF) and the Annie Zaidi Foundation (AZF).
- Researching Media and Culture
- Youth, Crime, Culture
- 'Race', Culture, Media
- Sports Media
Dr Dan Kilvington has written extensively on issues of 'race' and racism within sport and new media. He has investigated the exclusion of British Asian players and the under-representation of BAME coaches and managers in football; the impact of positive action strategies in sport; online racial abuse within a sporting context; ethnicity and football fandom; and representations of 'race' in television sit-coms.
Dan's current research critically explores the lack of BAME coaches and managers in football, leading him to establish the inclusion organisation, Creating and Developing Coaches. Since 2016, Creating and Developing Coaches has worked with over 200 BAME coaches across the country and helped in some securing full time employment within the 'beautiful game'.
Journal articles (2)
- Kilvington DJ; Price J (2019), Tackling Social Media Abuse? Critically Assessing English Football's Response to Online Racism
View Repository Record
- Kilvington DJ (2019), Two decades and little change: British Asians, football and calls for action
View Repository Record
- Kilvington D; Price J (2017) Sport and Discrimination. Routledge.
- Kilvington D (2016) British Asians, Exclusion and the Football Industry. Routledge.
- Kilvington DJ; John P (2018) From Backstage to Frontstage: Exploring Football and the Growing Problem of Online Abuse. In: Gary A; Stefan L Digital Media Sport: Fandom, Identities and Resistance. : , pp. .
- Kilvington DJ (2017) British Asians and football: Exploring the rise, popularity and significance of Punjabi and Bangla fan groups. In: Acton C; Hassan D Sport and Contested Identities. : , pp. .
Internet publications (1)
- Kilvington DJ (2017), British Asians and football: how the 'beautiful game' needs to change