Private housing

Page last updated:
08 Sep 2021

There is a surplus of good quality housing in Leeds so there is no need to rush into signing a contract or worry about not finding a place to live.

On this page you’ll find helpful advice about finding private accommodation in Leeds, including how to get help on your house hunt or accessing support once you’re in your new home.


Unipol is a housing charity that aims to help students make informed decisions about the type of accommodation they would like to live in while studying in Leeds. Unipol is a good place to start your search for your student home as it has the widest choice of student properties.


Unipol website - Webchat available


Tel: 0113 243 0169

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)


House-hunting officially starts in late November, some landlords will start advertising their properties prior to this, but it is recommended that you wait until Unipol launch the house-hunting season. Waiting will give you access to more choice in all the best locations.


Don’t worry if you are struggling to meet people to house hunt with, Unipol and your Students’ Union can help. You will be invited to attend one of their online webinars and can also join a flatmate finder Facebook group.


If you're looking for a property in the wider private-rented sector, look out for Unipol's Code of Standards. This is an indicator of the quality of accommodation and reliability of the landlord. The university and students’ union recommend that you rent from a provider who is part of this scheme.


Changeover is around the end of June and the beginning of July. This is a very busy time in Leeds, and can be a strain on the local community as volumes of waste increase. Find out more about keeping Leeds tidy during changeover.


If you are experiencing issues related to housing, the Students' Union Advice Service can help you resolve a wide range of different problems. The team will also check contracts for you so that you know exactly what you're signing up for. Contact them at:

If your landlord is part of the Unipol Code you can make a complaint to Unipol who will help you resolve any problems. Please visit Unipol for more information.

If you are living in purpose built student accommodation and wish to complain under the National Code please visit National Code for more information.

Contact Students' union advice service

Looking for something else?

There's lots of helpful advice and guidance on our student information pages. Try searching if you know what you're looking for or if you're not sure where to go, you can browse our A-Z.