Research at Leeds Beckett
Professor Sue Backhouse
About Professor Sue Backhouse
Sue is Professor of Psychology and Nutrition, Head of the Centre for Human Performance and Director of Research for Sport and Exercise Science, Leisure and Tourism. She graduated from Loughborough University with a BSc (Hons) in Physical Education and Sports Science at Loughborough University, for which she was awarded the Department prize for outstanding achievement. Following this, Susan completed her PhD with Professor Clyde Williams and Professor Stuart Biddle at Loughborough University. Susan joined Leeds Beckett University in 2003.
Sue leads the sporting integrity research team at Leeds Beckett University, conducting research that addresses the complexity of doping in sport by investigating the issue from multiple stakeholder perspectives using an interdisciplinary lens. With a focus on implementation, Sue and her team strive to bring about change in the anti-doping system through the development of strong partnerships and evidence-informed interventions.
Examples of recently funded projects include two cross-cultural interventions to prevent doping in sport (RE>ACT and CoachMADE) and two Erasmus+ funded collaborative projects (FAIR and RESPECT). Sue is an active member of the clean sport community, serving as a member of the WADA Social Science Research Committee, Convenor of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Science Clean Sport Interest Group and Co-Founder of the Clean Sport Alliance. Sue is regularly invited to give keynote lectures at international conferences.
Sue is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Authority, Fellow of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society.
- Contribute to undergraduate and postgraduate taught provisio
- Supervise postgraduate research students
- Supervise trainee sport and exercise psychologists (British Psychological Society Qualification in Sport and Exercise Psychology Stage 2)
Current funded research projects:
- Research-Embedded Strategic Plan for Anti-Doping Education: Clean Sport Alliance Initiative for Tackling Doping (RESPECT) (EU ERASMUS+)
- Blowing the whistle on doping in sport through evidence-informed policy making (World Anti-Doping Agency)
- Towards a Vision for Prevention: Testing the feasibility and efficacy of a Clean Sport Bystander Intervention Program (RE>ACT) (International Olympic Committee)
- Forum for Anti-Doping in Recreational Sport (FAIR) (EU ERASMUS+)
- An Intervention to Optimize Motivational Climates and Prevent Current and Future Willingness to Dope in Adolescent Sport: A Cross-Cultural Project (International Olympic Committee)
- The interactive effects of moral identity and moral disengagement on doping: An experimental investigation (World Anti-Doping Agency)
- Leading the fight against doping in sport
- Leeds Beckett experts share research insights at Global Anti-Doping Conference in China
- Action needed to address schoolboy doping vulnerability
- Coaches sought for research project
- Dyadic coping can enhance the coach athlete relationship
- Beckett researchers to help develop anti-doping intervention for coaches
- Leeds Beckett to host Clean Sport Forum
- Research examines rugby union doping sanctions
- Leeds Beckett research to help global efforts to prevent doping in sport