- CARNEGIE GREAT OUTDOORS
- About us
- Families groups and individuals
- Educational groups
- Outdoor qualifications
- Research and consultancy
Are you looking to embark on a new career as an outdoor activity instructor, or are you looking to gain additional outdoor qualifications to help you gain employment in the great outdoors? Maybe you are looking to validate your hobby or passion for outdoor activities with some formal qualifications to enable you to lead groups?
We offer a range of outdoor qualifications that are National Governing Body accredited and can help you to advance and develop your skills and experience.
Many National Governing Body (NGB) awards require completion of a training course followed by a period of consolidation of skills to ensure the candidate is fully prepared when they go for assessment.
At CGO we currently offer outdoor qualification courses for those looking to develop as a Mountain Leader with our Mountain Training accredited course, and for those looking to develop as a Paddlesport Instructor with our British Canoeing accredited courses. Or perhaps you want to become multi-qualified and more employable by completing both pathways.
Why undertake an outdoor qualification?
- Develop your own personal skills and confidence
- Gain professional National Governing Body qualifications enabling you to work as an outdoor instructor
- Support from our qualified instructor coaches
- Opportunities to observe our highly experienced instructors delivering sessions
- Develop your leadership and group management skills
- We offer shadowing and Assistant Instructor opportunities with our client groups under the guidance of our skilled instructor team
Where can an outdoor qualification take you?With a completed Mountain Leader Assessment and Outdoor First Aid certificate you are qualified to lead groups in the hills and mountains for treks, hikes and hill walks in summer conditions. You may then wish to progress onto the Winter Mountain Leader Award to work in the UK and Ireland in winter conditions, or the International Mountain Leader Award to work overseas.
With a completed Paddlesport Instructor Award, Foundation Safety and Rescue Training and Outdoor First Aid certificate you are qualified to lead taster sessions for groups in very sheltered water environments. You may then wish to progress onto the Paddlesport Leader Award to work with groups for full sessions as an activity instructor.
Mountain Leader Pathway
A step by step guide to becoming a leader in mountain activities. We guide you through the process and direct you to the courses you will need along the way!
01. Attend our Outdoor First Aid Training course
02. Attend our Mountain Leader Training course
03. Complete a consolidation period
Water Activity Specialist Pathway
A step by step guide to becoming a specialist in water activities. We guide you through the process and direct you to the courses you will need along the way!