- PUBLIC INFORMATION
- Academic Regulations
- Information for students and applicants
- Information compliance
- Regulatory compliance and assurance
- University policies
- Legal Services
The Legal team are proud to support the work that the university is involved in. The Legal team is here to assist and support staff across the university with a variety of legal issues that may arise across both academic schools and service areas.
The university has an in-house legal team reporting into the University Secretary, consisting of the following individuals:
Where additional expertise or resource is required, the in-house team is supported by a panel of external legal advisors:
- Addleshaw & Goddard (excluding employment advice)
- Mills & Reeve (excluding employment advice)
- Pinsent Masons (employment advice only)
- Swindell & Pearson (intellectual property advice only)
Please be advised that our panel of external legal advisors can only be contacted via authorised university personnel. If you require any advice, please contact email@example.com in the first instance.
There are a huge number of legal issues which directly or indirectly impact the University. This may include issues relating to:
- Consumer law
- Contract, commercial and procurement law
- Data protection, freedom of information and information compliance law
- Intellectual property law
- Property law
- Employment and pension law
- Immigration law
- Environmental law
- Litigation, dispute resolution
Examples of particular issues that can arise across the University, in both academic schools and service areas include:
- Contracts that the university is required to enter into, for example research, collaborations, partnership, sub-contractor, sponsorship, apprenticeship and supplier agreements, employment
- Ensuring compliance with the law
- Protection of the university’s rights and/or mitigate risk
- Need for standard terms and conditions or template documents
- Assistance with the drafting of policies and regulations
- Involvement in strategic university projects
- Routine enquiries on legal issues
Getting in touch
If you have any legal queries, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact us at the earliest possible opportunity to ensure your query is dealt with in an efficient and timely manner. Where helpful, we are very happy to take the lead on contract negotiations. Our aim is to facilitate the speedy resolution of legal issues and reduce the legal risk of the university.
In addition to providing legal advice, we are happy to provide training to colleagues to advise them on new or existing legislation or to equip staff to better identify and address legal issues.
Please note that the Legal team cannot advise individual members of staff or students in personal matters and in these circumstances, they should seek independent legal advice.
If your enquiry relates to any of the following matters, please contact the relevant area in the first instance: