Image of Global Engagement Officer with sun shining behind her

What are the five best things to do in Leeds?

1. Headingley offers a lot of beautiful nature walks and scenery.
  2. Going out for food in Leeds City Centre.
  3. Ice Skating, either at the Leeds Christmas Markets or at the Leeds City Ice Rink.
  4. Watching a live Rugby or Football Game. 
  5. Leeds offers a lot of different events throughout the year. 

Have you got involved in any social activities at Leeds Beckett?

One of the first things I did before coming to Leeds was researching if the university had an international society/community. During my first week at LBU, I attended two events: a walking tour of Leeds and a trip to Kirkstall Abbey. Engaging with the Global Village straight from the start of my journey with LBU really helped me to feel more welcomed and settled into university life. In the second half of my Master’s studies, I became an ambassador and got involved with the Global Village on a more deeper level.

Can you tell us about anything that inspired you during your studies at Leeds Beckett?

I studied MSc Sport Events Management and this course challenged me in many ways. It taught me the importance of putting theory into practice, and challenged me to take on different tasks within the events industry that I would not have considered doing otherwise. The academic staff was always there to support us and adapt to our individual needs, their co-operation and willingness to help us succeed in our studies was very inspirational and motivational.

What advice would you give to someone thinking of studying or currently studying in the UK?

As an international student, I understand that coming to a whole new country can be overwhelming and daunting, but it is also very exciting and thrilling. My advice would be, try and join a society or sports club, being around like-minded people always helps to make the place feel more like home.