Student Blog Squad

Alumni Spotlight: Becoming a Global Engagement Officer

Hey! I'm Katie, I studied BA (Hons) Sociology and Criminology as my undergraduate degree, and I graduated in July 2023. I am now a Global Engagement Officer at Leeds Beckett, supporting  international students, advocating to make each school more globally engaged, and promoting our global opportunities. I also love travelling and experiencing new cultures and I am a huge animal lover.

Image of Global Engagement Officer sat down at a cafe

What are the five best things about studying in Leeds?

1. The diversity and being able to meet people from all walks of life.
  2. It's easy to make friends as it is a student friendly city, so there are lots of activities and events targeted towards students.
  3. The rich history, culture and art, there is always something new to learn.
  4. Good transport links which allow you to easily travel and explore the rest of the UK.
  5. There is always something going on or something new to do.

Can you tell us about anything that inspired you during your studies at Leeds Beckett?

The Leeds Beckett Community inspired me to get more involved in university-led events to make friends and be an active part of the university.

Have you participated in any social activities at Leeds Beckett?

I have been to the varsity rugby games and fresher’s events which are a great way to meet new people.

What advice would you give to someone thinking of studying or currently studying in the UK?

Get involved in as many events and activities as you can. Don't be afraid to go up to people you don't know and speak to them, they're in the exact same position as you.

Katie A