Outdoor First Aid Training
At CGO we are delighted to partner with a number of highly experienced outdoor professionals to offer the 16 Hour REC Outdoor First Aid Qualification. This two day course is designed to give you an easy to remember and systematic way of dealing with casualties and giving first aid. The course is very practical and is tailored to make it relevant to you and will help you to feel confident in dealing with a range of casualties in diverse situations.
This outdoor first aid course is certified for three years and is an entry point for the REC scheme (Rescue Emergency Care).
Suitable for activity instructors, coaches, teachers, youth group leaders, and those working in outdoor centres, this course is acceptable to validate qualifications for Mountain Training, British Canoeing, Royal Yachting Association and many other sports Governing Bodies.
Course Content (what will you learn)
- Understanding the body and recognising changes in vital signs
- The accident procedure
- Arranging for help and dealing with an unconscious casualty
- Airway and breathing issues
- Heart attack, angina and CPR
- Dealing with major bleeding and shock
- Medical conditions (epilepsy, diabetes, stroke)
- Hot and cold injuries
- Managing damage injuries to the body
- Environmental factors and coping with casualties outdoors
- Casualty handling and transportation
- AED (automated external defibrillator) practical training
- Leadership in a first aid situation
Prerequisites to attend
You will need to bring the following with you to the course:
- Outdoor clothing suitable for the conditions
- Pen and paper to take notes
- A camera if you wish to take photos
- You may also wish to bring your own first aid kit to look through if you already have one (if not, then during the course we can provide a list of recommended items)
- Own packed lunch, drinks and snacks
We offer outdoor first aid courses at our Headingley Campus in Leeds and at our partner locations across the North of England at YHA Hostels and Field Studies Council sites. Some of the work will be done indoors and some will take place outdoors, please bring outdoor clothing suitable for the weather conditions. For available dates and venues please see our online store.